Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a Colt Delta and now I'm wondering what the pros and cons of 10mm are for carry v. the 45acp. I'd also like to hear how those of you who do carry a 10 have set-up your pistols.

Thanks & regards,

Roger

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Roger D on 2001-06-25 00:38 ]</font>

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David: Thanks for the reply.

OK - did the reading here and any other place I could find opinion/discussion on the subject and I have come down on the side of sticking w/ the 45 for defensive carry.

However, it seems that a 10MM in the 1911 would make a great "woods" gun when something a bit less than a revolver in .45 Long Colt/44mag is desired.

It would be easier (thinner/lighter) to pack than (for example) either a moderately loaded 4" Smith Mountain Gun or a heavily loaded 7.5" Ruger Bisley revolver, but offer a flatter trajectory and more energy than the .45 acp -almost up to a 41 mag. levels. A reasonable compromise.

I hadn't considered a 1911 for field carry before, but the 10mm might be just about right.

Regards,

Roger D

·
Registered
579 Posts
Rodger

I cannot find the article but there are at least ten organizations around the country that issue/authorize the 10mm for duty use with one town here in WY. I think the article/list was in the NRA Rifleman but cannot find it at the moment. Will post it when/if I do.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
If all you are worried about is dealing with humans within say 25 yards then I don't think you will see that big a difference between .45 and 10mm effectiveness. Where 10mm comes to the fore IMHO is in versatility. .357 Magnum power levels with even bigger, heavier bullets is hard to argue with for self-defense... several factory self-defense loads have over 600 ft-lbs at the muzzle (e.g. Federal Hi-Shok, Winchester Silvertips, Pro Load). On the other hand, with heavier (180-220gr) loads 10mm will give you more KE and penetration over longer distances than .45 ACP; at 100 yards a Cor-Bon 180gr JSP has more kinetic energy than many .45 ACP loads at the muzzle.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Good post, CB. Say, you get your DE back yet? IMO, the 10mm is a very versatile round which seems to exist just on the fringes of the limelight. I kinda like that. Say, Roger D, if you'd like to pass that DE along, I'd be happy to add another to my stable. :smile:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Now that IDPA has relegated 10mm to Enhanced Service Pistol division, the 10 will probably move even closer to the edge of relevancy. Keep your supply of brass in good shape; there's certainly no shortage of .40 bullets.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I wouldn't worry about brass for the 10mm, Starline continues to sell much more obscure stuff like 9mm SuperComp, .445 SuperMag and 360 DW (?)

And remember, 10mm factory ammo is made by CCI/Speer, Cor-Bon, Federal, Georgia Arms, Hornady, Pro Load, Remington/UMC, Triton and Winchester among others... pretty far from dead in my book and alot more readily available than its supposed "replacements" like .45 Super, .40 Super, .400 Cor-Bon, .38 Casull and so on. :grin:

P.S. Dane is still working on my Delta Elite.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CastleBravo on 2001-06-27 09:22 ]</font>

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a Colt Delta Elite 10mm. A great firearm. Accurte, nice carry, and better then a lot of cartridges for carry. I would still carry a .45 because I am of the "bigger is better" paradigm in what you carry.

I think all the information points that the 10mm will be on the fringe from now until forever. I think 40 S&W is a bit more popular but that is not saying much.

I think the 1911 style in 10mm is the best you can get. But I think the 1911 is still the best design out there in an overall package.

I still carry the 10mm at times, when my .45's are dirty or getting work done. Enjoy!

Lenny

·
Registered
431 Posts
As mentioned above the idiotic IDPA decision didn't help the cartridge- here in Michigan when I shoot IDPA I'm rarely alone in CDP class with a 10mm, but I'm not sure how many of these shooters will want to compete against a 9x19 or .38 Super. Of course this was what the IDPA board wanted- Bill Wilson has never made it a secret that he hates the 10mm.

You will not find a better all around cartridge. I've been using it for years and would be happy to help you get set up for reloading it and give you input on good modifications to 1911 10mms. I'm lucky enough to own a Colt Delta Gold Cup that Brian Bilby of ACP customized, and a SV/Capsian high-cap 10mm he built from the ground up for me. My bedside gun is a stock Delta Elite.

Anyway, check my website out and by all means please email. I'm new to this forum so if I'm doing anything wrong with protocol I'm sorry!

·
Registered
431 Posts
One more thing...don't forget, if you like to compete, that your single stack 10mm has a welcome home in IPSC in their new Limited 10 class. Most 10 round .45 ACP mags work well with 10mm ammo (and some hold 11) and USPSA doesn't have some odd bender on about 10mm 1911's the way IDPA does.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
10mm Rules!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.