Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

Wierd question: Since HK has stated for the record that the USP .45 can handle .45 Super, do you think it would be feasible to rechamber a .40 S&W to 10mm? Seems like a fairly easy way to get a good, durable 10mm. Thoughts or comments?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Fair answer. Thanks. I was hoping to be able to come up with a 10mm (aside from Glock) that won't beat itself to death. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In my case, I have a good excuse. I was (operative word) the owner of one of the original Bren Tens. It was one of the first auto pistols I ever bought with my own money, and it cost me EXACTLY $500. And, yes, it even came with a magazine; two in fact. The original Norma 200 grain ammo I bought with it clocked 1210 fps over a circa 1980 chronograph. Needless to say, I was very impressed with the piece. When Dornaus and Dixon bit the big one, ammo dried up. It was hard to get before, but it just flat went away! I ended up selling my Bren Ten at a loss and buying a worn out Colt National Match .45. I really came up on the short end of the stick. Anyway, to make a long story longer, I really like 10mm performance, but it just beats the crap out of a 1911 platform unless you are will to spend lots of money for extensive parts replacement and handfitting. I may just have to dig up a used Delta Elite and go that route, I guess. I wonder what Dane would charge for a full-up custom Delta 10mm? :smile:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I guess the way I look at it, 10mm might stop most game animals, but a rifle would be a responsible choice. As for defensive purposes, chances are most of us will never have to use our guns in defense. So why worry about the ideal round for self defense, any shot to the head will drop someone. You also have to deal with over pentration with a 10mm full power defensive loads.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Greetings all!
Mossrock-I have an HK USP 45 Compact(converted to .40 Super),
it has quite a few mega-powered rounds through it without
any signs of fatigue(I have a friend that runs a machine shop
that has zygloed and x-ray'd it after every shoot), it shoots
great(albeit with a fair amount of recoil).

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not too familiar with the .40 Super. That's the .45 Super necked down to .40, right? Who did the work on your HK? What kind of ballistics do you get with 180 or 200 grain bullets?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, the ballistics are pretty impressive. How tough is the conversion?

G

·
I should have added the note to my post that I typically run 1-2,000 rounds through a pistol during the first range session with it. Most of my "carry guns" have at least 10,000 rounds through them before I will carry them.
My caveat or concern with the .45 USP is based on my expectations for durability, your expectations and needs may differ substantially from mine.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Hello Mossyrock!
The only "conversion" that was needed was a Bar-Sto barrel,
that Irv III cut an "o-ring groove" like the Expert and Socom
guns have(I supplied the green o-ring, automotive a/c r-134),
then I had Novak's fit it correctly and crown the barrel.
They also polished the ramp and chamber, and "loosened" up
the rifling a wee bit(mostly hand lapping). I did have the
trigger, reliability and Trijicons done by Actions By T-an
incredible job, because I wouldn't have bothered converting
it as crappy as the stock trigger was. And in case anyone
"beefs", I have a lot of ammo thru this gun, whether it be
.40 Super(mostly), .45 Super(tactical loads-just stronger
brass, Texas Ammunition states that it is OK in modern .45's)
or +P .45 ACP loads. Matter of fact, I don't think I've ever
put a "standard" .45 ACP load thru this gun!!!I don't really
care to argue who shoots the most, who's got what, who's
pecker is bigger, etc...maybe I just got lucky and have a
really good USP?! What they call in the auto industry, a
wednesday car!!!

G

·
MHall,
Very good info, I am very curious if you would elaborate on the work done by Teddy Jacobson.
It seems that a few weeks ago I exceeded some type of size limit on webshots for posting pics and the number of albums I can have.
I don't particuarly want to pay to post my pictures on an essentially free board but once I find a "new" free service I will be glad to post pictures of my broken USP.
Again no issue here, good post and please share the info on the action work.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
David:
Mr. Jacobson did the following: Polished the breech face to a
mirror finish, de-burred the extractor hook and polished it,
polished the (then .45) barrel chamber, trigger job(down from
13 lbs DA to 8, and SA from 6 to 4.5-and it's much crisper.
He also replaced something in the trigger return system that
he said was faulty right from HK(I guess you would have to ask
him what it was, he just included it with the action job).
The only thing I know for sure is that this gun is utterly
reliable(never a bobble in excess of 15,000 rounds), accurate,
pretty damn tough, light and easy to carry. But, just like all
plastic guns, it has no soul, meaning no pride of ownership-
it's merely another hammer in my safe, albeit one hell of a
hammer!

G

·
I am very intrigued as IMO the major setback to the USP series has been the really poor triggers. I have seen some very poor attempts to smooth and lighten the triggers and I was not impressed or even willing to pay $10 for the work IMO. A USP Expert model with a very smooth 8lbs trigger is worth taking a closer look at.
Thanks for the info and I look forward to hearing more of Teddy's work.
If other readers have custom HK's please post the information.

·
Registered
372 Posts
David,

I think I mentioned this before, but if you look on the HKPRO forum you could probably find lots of rave reviews about Teddy's USP triggers. That's where I first heard his name, and everyone over there seems to be incredibly happy with his work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi David,

I'm not much of a "combat gun" shooter as my primary toys are a Hammerli 162 (electronic trigger at about 30 grams or about 1 oz), a Walther GSP, and a S&W 41. Teddy did the trigger on my P7K3 (22/32/380) and I'm happy with it. It's smooth and it no longer fights me!

·
Registered
78 Posts
A number of .40 USPs have been converted to 10mm as I have read off of the shooters.com BBB. As I recall, the chamber was reamed to 10mm length, and Para .40 caliber magazines were used. Another mag catch cut is required on the mag body, but from what the posters stated, the guns ran 100%. I do not know what pound spring they ran in the gun. These guys were happy with their guns, though. Go to Shooters.com, click talk, and go to handguns. someone should be able to help. Good luck, From the brotherhood of 10mm, DougC

·
Registered
13 Posts
Greetings from Anchorage Alaska, I've converted more than several of the USP-40s to 10mm, the magazine arangement is sorta bastardized looking but is flawless in function.
Accuracy is just amazing, I couldn't even tell ya the twist rate in the stock barrel but it certainly suits the 10mm loads. Later, Monte

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hey Monte,

Josh in MD here. I don't know if you got my last email, but do you think your custom reamer would take care of my chamber "collar"? If so, would you run it in there for me for a fee? Let me know here or by email to [email protected]

Thanks.

P.S. Even though it has the collar I have shot it a few times and to my happiness accuracy is much better with the hot (over max) loads. Gotta love that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.