Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have begun shooting IDPA in the CDP class with a Kimber CST and very much enjoy the competition. So much so that I wish to also compete in ESP. I much prefer to stay with a 1911 style pistol but Kimber does not make such an animal in 9mm. What recommendations do you all have for a 1911 style in 9mm. TIA for all of you help

GM

·
Registered
581 Posts
Go with either a Springfield or an STI in 9x19. Both will serve you well in ESP.

I am shooting a STI 38 Super in ESP.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
500 Posts
Kimber makes a 38 super and Nowlin makes a nice 9mm with a supported barrel. You could also find a series 70 Colt and tune it for competition. Myself I shoot ESP with a 9x23 Colt that was converted from a 9mm and a Springfield factory 9x23. I like the length of the case, it makes it more reliable to feed a 1.250" shell. If you load you can load it down to 9mm specs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JM,

Is downloading safe for say .38 Super? I have read that for at least some calibers downloading can be dangerous. How wide is the PF range of .38 Super?

Also, would you explain why in competition one might want a higher PF versus a lower. My initial thought is lower PF=less muzzle jump. Obvious I am new to the game. TIA

GM

·
Registered
876 Posts
The old .38 ACP - a 130 at 1050fps - would be about right for IDPA. Loading data can be found or worked down to with a chronograph. Lyman used to say start .38 ACP at .5 grain below the starting load for .38 Super and work up to the starting load as a maximum in the old guns (models of 1900, 1902 and 1903.) The chamber is the same, brass may have been beefed up some.

·
Registered
500 Posts
True it is the same ballistics as the old 38acp, 1050 fps. The power factor is about 140. Some people do not like the 125pf because it doesn't "snap" the slide. I use a 12lb recoil spring and 18lb mainspring in my guns and it operates the slide smoothly. Too much spring and it jumps around alot especially when it returns to battery. Too little spring and you'll beat the gun up,(not as bad as with the full load stuff)but it will get beat. With a new spring my shell eject about 4ft. left and 2ft back. As the spring weakens the distance back gets greater, at that point I replace my recoil spring.
In fact I found a source for winchester yellow boxed 38 acp. The guy has 30 boxes and its 9.00 a box. In a lost brass match I'll sometimes shoot it in my 9x23's. Since the rim is a little larger the extracter works fine.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jm10mm on 2001-08-16 07:24 ]</font>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.