Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on my first 1911 build. I have a Government model 1911 series 70 from Caspian. I have fitted everything by hand and all has been going smoothly until I got to the beavertail grip safety. I have fitted it to the slide, but I am having problems with the hammer and the grip safety. When dry fired, (slowly let the hammer down so the sear is not damaged) the hammer will not go down to even half-cock. I believe it is hitting the grip safety. I have a Les Baer beavertail grip and a Caspian Combat hammer. I cannot see what the hammer is hitting on, but it is not the sear. I know (after I already purchased the hammer) I need a commander hammer, but I would like to know what hammer could go with the Les Baer grip, with less fitting required than my combat hammer. Or what I can do to fit the Caspian hammer for my Les Baer grip safety. Any and all comments are welcome!:)
Here is the link for the grip safety I am using: 1911 AUTO BEAVERTAIL GRIP SAFETY | Brownells

·
Registered
169 Posts
It most likely is hitting on the front of the beavertail safety. Take a Sharpie marker and color the rear of the hammer, install it with the grip safety installed, and see if it removes the marker from that area. If so, remove material from the grip safety...basically, taper those sharp corners into a small radius. It shouldn't take much to give you the clearance you need.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It most likely is hitting on the front of the beavertail safety. Take a Sharpie marker and color the rear of the hammer, install it with the grip safety installed, and see if it removes the marker from that area. If so, remove material from the grip safety...basically, taper those sharp corners into a small radius. It shouldn't take much to give you the clearance you need.

I put the sharpie on the hammer, and lone behold that was exactly what the hammer was hitting. I will remove material from the grip safety this weekend. Thank you very much for the advice! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts