Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm picking up a 6" slide, 10MM 1911 to use as a hunting pistola. Probably will stick with the iron sights so scope is not an issue. I'd like a crossdraw with a full flap to protect against weather.

Talked to Lou and also to Tony at Milt Sparks but they are not into that anymore. Tony suggested that I check with Andrews Leather.
http://www.andrewsleather.com/

May talk to Omar at Alfonso's of Hollywood too:
http://www.alfonsosgunleather.com/

Any experience with either companies? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hoser on 2001-07-22 02:11 ]</font>

·
Registered
194 Posts
Just something to consider: I've experimented with flap holsters and for my use have not found them satisfactory since in inclement weather, rain still drips round the top of the flap and funnels into holsterwell--even if the flap extends beyond the butt which it should but which all too few actually do.

I tend to think that the very best concealment rigs (other than IWB designs) work equally well for field duty. They are comfortable, accessible, and offer superior protection by being tucked into the body and from an outer garment such as a vest, rain jacket or coat.

If the handgun is the primary weapon and no heavy rucksack is being worn, the GI tanker-style pouch shoulder holster comes in handy for an outdoorsman rig in a well made cordura version. Generally more comfortable than the concealment-style shoulder rigs, more secure, and excellent when on foot or in a vehicle or boat. NOT optimal on horseback.

If a long arm is carried, I don't care for the restriction of a shoulder rig and generally carry the handgun in a cross draw position where it doesn't rub against the rifle or shotgun when carried slung.

Also, no flap holster that I've tried has an adequate width belt loop to force the weapon into the body. As a result, they tend NOT to be as comfortable to wear for long, active periods.

Just a couple of thoughts to consider.... Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I hunt a lot in the swamps and creek bottoms in North Central Florida. The cover there can be very heavy. I designed a full flap holster years back, not so much to keep rain out, but to keep the briars and branches from damaging the gun. Tactical Leather in Micanopy makes these for me. They are constructed so that they can be worn cross draw, horizontal to the belt, or on the strong side as a normal holster. By adding the strap I get with the holster, (I use Chicago screws to attach the holster to the strap), it works fine as an across the chest holster when wading in deeper water.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.