Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep hearing and reading that if you shoot and carry an HK P7, that is the only gun you should be carrying, due to the unique manual of arms. Why is this so? I mean, I understand that with the P7, you have to be careful to keep your finger outside the trigger guard at all times, and you will need a firm grip to ensure that the squeeze cocker is properly depressed. However, with any other gun I shoot, I make sure that my finger is off the trigger, and that I keep a firm grip.
Any comments?

· Registered
49 Posts
i have also heard that the p7 is a jealous mistress, however i also use serveral other guns on a regular basis and have never had a problem.

the main thing to remember is to not take that "firm grip" (and thereby cocking the action) on the p7 until you have "cleared leather" and the muzzle is pointing toward the target

· Registered
8 Posts
I have not had problems switching between a few guns. Practice creates a familiarity with each weapon.
On that firm grip, remember that while you must firmly squeeze the cocker to cock the pistol, once it is cocked you only need 1 1/2 lbs or so of force to keep it cocked. You don't need to keep the pistol in a deathgrip once it is cocked.

· Registered
67 Posts
I have heard the "jealous mistress" stuff, but never fully understood it.
I grip all my guns very firmly and see no difference in drawing my P7 and cocking it versus gripping my 1911, or my Glock.
In the unfortunate times I have been forced to draw my weapon in self-defense, I know that I was very firmly holding the grip :smile:

· Registered
42 Posts
Although the manual of arms for the 1911 and the P7 series are night and day - a 'competent' shooter can transfer back and forth from the two styles with relative ease provided that he/she keeps proficient with both styles of arms and keeps a mental note as to which they are carrying.

I do carry my P7M8/M13 regularly however I will also carry my USP Compacts or even my Gl*ck 17.

--YMMV

· Registered
552 Posts
Use 1911's, Glocks & an M8. Maybe it's from so much trigger-time with Glocks but it's been no problem. Personal safey aside it would be much harder for me to go to a 1911 or a Glock from a P7 due to Glocks funky trigger & 1911's thumb safety.

· Registered
112 Posts
This same topic raised a lot of eyebrows recently at the other forum.

Barring the obvious exception, I would have to say that the P7 is my favorite sidearm, and I've never had any difficulty switching back and forth. I think you can chalk the whole "manual of arms" myth up to an Ayoobism of dubious value.

Chuck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.