Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My next 1911 project is going to be making what I call a "Sleeper". I have other 1911 that's decked out with all the bells & whistles so I'm thinking the next one will keep the mil-spec look but needs to be superbly accurate (hence the name Sleeper). I'm just spoiled for accurate guns! :smile:

Here's what I plan so far:
Match barrel -- Kart or BarSto (unless there's other suggestions)
Short steel trigger and trigger job (probably sear, ect too)
Steel arched serrated mainspring (any manufacter suggestions?)
Bob the existing spur hammer (no biting!)
Silver solder the staked front sight down (so it won't fly off)
Slightly dehorned
Don't think I'll checker this one -- but not sure yet!

The sights are my main problem but there may be no way out. Although the Novak and Heinie rear sights are great (and are on other guns), they would not look mil-spec. Should I just keep the existing Colt blade and have it slightly rounded or is there another option that I'm not aware of?

Any other recommendations appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Hard to beat a Kart or Bar-Sto barrel. You will need a blue match bushing, maybe a King. Infinity makes a spur hammer and good sears. I'd use a short aluminum trigger, likely a Videcki to allow a lighter trigger pull. Any gunsmith will have takeoff Colt or SA arched housings, or look for real GI at a gunshow. King No. 102 sights would be a good starting place, though you will have to do a good deal of recontouring to get the front to look even sort of GI. If the front is well staked it is not going anywhere. If you dehorn to amount to anything you will have to refinish unless you are going for a well used appearance. I have one sort of like this, a .38, now 9mm in peeling nickel plate. The long sub-4 lb trigger and black sights are all that show, but it shoots way better than it looks.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My goal is to not make it look exactly like a GI model, which is probably pretty impossible. Just want to keep a mil-spec look, probably parkerized or matte blue refinish.

Does Kart have any writing on the barrel? BarSto or Heinie have their names marked on the outside of the barrel and you can read them through the ejection port. Not sure if Kart does, but if they don't, I'll probably go for that one, all things being equal.

I'll check out the look of the King's rear sight. Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I usually get S&A msh for replacements. I understand that they are now making one with a layard loop; good for a mil-spec pistol.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jim and secmat,
This is exactly the type of info I was hoping for. The Kings safety looks to be good and is actually refered to as "military".

Secmat, I had no idea Smith & Alexander made a lanyard loop mainspring housing. Hopefully it's serrated. :smile:

·
Registered
50 Posts
hoser:
Kart bbl is marked KART 45 NM in 45 acp. I suppose you could order a custom bbl from Bar-Sto or Kart and have only the caliber marked. BTW, the Kart bushing is also marked KART.
Thong

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Secmat,
Emailed Smith & Alexander and they said they don't have anything -- only checkered arched mainspring housing. Had my hopes up there for a minute but maybe there's others! :sad:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No problem Secmat,
Does Auto Ordnance sell parts? Or do you mean buy an Auto Ordnance? Appreciate your help!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hoser, I think Auto Ordnance stopped selling parts when Kahr bought them. Their web site looks as though that will resume in the future. I bought two of the lanyard loop msh a few years ago. They are a perfect fit for a parked 1911.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Don't ask for "checkered" and see what happens;)

·
Registered
141 Posts
On 2001-05-14 03:17, Hoser wrote:
Steel arched serrated mainspring (any manufacter suggestions?)
Les Baer offers serrated MSHs, about $27.00 IIRC. Brownell's has them, as does the Baer website. I had a hard time finding any others advertised (except for the Shotgun News $4.00 jobs, which doesn't strike me as a bargain). These do NOT have the lanyard loop, however.

George

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: georgek on 2001-05-15 20:46 ]</font>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts