Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! This forum is really packed with good, knowledgeable folks, thanks for the info here. Now, my question: I'm considering buying a Springfield Loaded, seems like a the best deal for what I want. I am interested in whether or not anyone has any info or experience on whether or not a drop in type barrel of some breed (Bar-Sto?Wilson?) will measurably improve accuracy. By accuracy, I mean measured, off a rest accracy, not just informal impressions. I am skeptical that just dropping in a bbl. would do much, it seems like folks mention so many other factors in making a 1911 shoot tighter groups. I would like to get some nice groups, and can't afford to spend a couple of grand on a Baer, Wilson, BCP, or other top-of-the-heap guns. Thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi, Sheepdog.

I have a little input for you. I have fit three match barrels and the accuracy is lovely. I did buy an Ed Brown drop in at a price I could not say no to. I put it in an old military gun. To say it works is an understatement. I am very happy with the results.

·
Registered
62 Posts
sheepdog

Since you currently do not have the pistol yet, let me make the following recommendations.

First, buy your new pistol and shoot it for a while. Be sure to shoot the pistol for a minimum of 500 rounds as a break in, or wear in really, period. During the break in period just shoot, any failures or poor accuracy do not count. Asking for suggestions on how to properly break in your new pistol would be a good second question to ask.

Second, shoot the pistol some more, say another 2000 rounds, and get the feel of it. Concentrate on the sights and use a short smooth trigger pull. Once you are used to the pistol and it is broken in, you might just be surprised by its accuracy. The few Springfields I have seen recently have looked to be assembled very nicely.

Once you are used to the pistol and it is broken in, then test it for accuracy. If you are not happy with it, try having a new bushing fit as Shane suggested. Also, have the smith fitting the bushing, check the link for proper lock up. If this does not help then replacing the barrel may be in order, and using a drop in from one of the major providers (Wilson, Bar-Sto, Brown, etc.) may be a good way to go.

I hope this helps.
PaulB

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.