Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got to say that Wilson combat and Todd Tiedemore have done the impossible and I could not be more impressed.

Let me digress and explain, for those of that have been following the threads you know of my issues with Wilson's Armor Tuff finish and my general distaste and dislike for Teflon gun finishes in general.

Well, after careful deliberation and having sold off two of my three Wilson CQB pistols in frustration I did the mature thing and actually called Wilson’s.

I spoke with Todd and explained my issues with the CQB compact pistol and Todd even patiently listened to my twenty minute tirade on the "Armor Scuff" finish.
Once I was done I then gave my opinion on just about every feature on the pistol.

One of other "beefs" was that the old style tritium night eyes sights had gone dim, the thumb safety was awkward and I explained why an Ambi is a serious advantage on a carry pistol, detailed all of the finish wear, peeling, chipping and generally soft qualities of the armor tuff finish.

Todd listened and offered his opinions as well.

We agreed that the CQB is a very good gun in general despite all of my nitpicking and the use of all types of above pressure ammo, reloads, .45Super tinkering and lot's of evil abuse on my part.

The next day I typed up a long detailed explanation of my concerns and specific problems, what I had broken, dented, scratched, etcetera and I asked Todd to invoice me for any costs involved for the replacement parts, Ambi safeties, new sights, grips and abuses I had given the pistol.

I dropped the pistol off with FedEx and sent it to Todd's attention.

Well I was shocked, literally to come home and watch as my wife handed me the UPS next day air box with Wilson's return address 14 days later.

I then opened the box, slid out the blue pistol rug, and unzippered it. Low and behold inside was what appeared to be a brand new CQB compact pistol w/green OD frame and new model Wilson/Novak style tritium sights.

A quick check of the serial number revealed that it was my pistol.
Todd had the entire pistol stripped, polished, new sights cut and installed with a tapered low profile Ambi safety exactly the way I requested, all new springs, grips, and pins with a completely new Armor Tuff finish.

I then called three friends and told them hands or not it is range time.
Well 1,600rds down range, of which 1,000 rounds of PMC ball ammo and not one malfunction or hiccup later I sat down at home to pull out the paperwork thoroughly satisfied and prepared to write Wilson's a check for what I believed would have to be a $600 invoice.

The invoice was marked $0.00 and I then read the fluorescent green sheet that came with the pistol that says that the ammo I was just shooting does not function reliably in the Wilson's pistol.

I've got to say that I am shocked, I have owned that pistol for over two years and did not expect Wilson's to essentially build me a new pistol all under warranty, even the shipping was covered.

One final point, I am not sure of is- what they did to the "Armor Scuff" finish but it is noticeably thicker and harder, it has been seriously improved as the infamous ejection port is not worn and the "old" finish wore down just from holstering the pistol alone.

I am impressed and I really hated that finish, perhaps now it really should be called Armor Tuff.

To Wilson's and Todd, my hat is off to you.
You have shown what true professionalism is and what "standing behind your products" really means.

You have made a life long customer out of me as I know that you will stand behind me and that my friends is what it is all about.

· Registered
4 Posts
I'm delighted!I just purchased a CQB which I can't yet try out because of the##### Kalifornia ten day waiting period.I was worried as hell about the Armortuff
finish.I am now one happy pistolero!Would that ParaOrd had treated me as well in the matter of my defective out of the box 7.45LDA.Read all about it on FiringLine.

· Registered
1,355 Posts
Wow!

...for someone that was as mad as you were, that's about the greatest "rave review" I've ever seen. The finish MUST be improved for you to make THOSE comments...Glad it has worked out for you...

Congratulations David...you deserved that treatment...It's really nice to get ready to blow up on someone and have something as nice as this happen...Kinda' makes yer' day...No?

· Registered
259 Posts
David,
I have 2 "New-Generation" CQB's.

They are fine pistols. In their price range, IMO, they certainly outshine the competition, especially after a few customer-ordered options (Bullet-proof parts!!!).

Enjoy....the tumbled magazines they are currently shipping are the cat's meow as well...smmoooth.

My last CQB has a .50 caliber test target.

Awesome!

· Registered
709 Posts
I love good customer service! I love giving it , receiving it, seeing it and hearing about it! Powerful! :smile:

Been in sales over 25 years, have my own business now. Experiences like yours stay with you forever.

I assert this didn't happen by accident. It shows a real commitment by Bill Wilson and his staff to "no kidding" great customer service, even when it cost time and money, the life blood of a business.

I'm impressed also because I have now heard from numerous people about Wilson's great customer service and, David, your experience is the perfect example. Makes me want to call Wilson Sales dept. and order a gun tomorrow.

Hope your hands are healing well.

· Registered
3 Posts
Wow. That type of service is rare in this day and age. Your experience should leave no doubt in anyone's mind that Wilson is the #1 semi custom builder out there, bar none. Makes me glad I went with a Wilson for my first 1911.

· Registered
141 Posts
On 2001-08-18 00:36, tonerguy wrote:
I love good customer service! I love giving it , receiving it, seeing it and hearing about it! Powerful! :smile:
Customer service aside, Mr. Wilson continues to promote his finish as being superior. Facts indicate otherwise. Good customer service starts with with setting expectations correctly.

· Registered
414 Posts
Outstanding news! As a continual Wilson customer, and a neighbor at that, this pleases me greatly.

Great job Wilson Combat!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.