Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time posting to this message board, but have read all the posts.

I have a Kimber Compact Stainless that I love, and just picked up a Pro-Carry. The one thing that is beginning to bother me about these guns is the one piece guide rod, that requires the use of a slave pin for disassembly.

I prefer two piece guide rods for ease of disassembly, and recoil spring replacement. If you want an exercise in frustration, disassembly a Kimber Pro-Carry or Compact model using the slave pin method, and try to replace the recoil spring.

Your replies are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I must of forgot to brush my teeth judging by the number of replies I have had to my post.

All kidding aside, could someone help me. I do not want to order a new guide rod, just to have it not fit.

Thanks

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm not trying to crticize, but I don't see the need for a two piece on this size of pistol. I guess I just like the way Kimber does it. The recoil spring can be a pain in the butt to change. But, when you do it about every 2,000 rounds, it will get easier to manage. I know.

The first time I switched mine I wanted to call up Kimber and cuss whoever happened to answer the phone. But, I've learned to have patience and get it done fairly easily.

By the way, your breath is fine. I think it's mine that is raunchy. Usually is!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
...just keep an old factory set-up in yer' bag and when you finally chuck it, you'll still have old faithful;)

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had a Wilson 2 piece guide rod in my Pro Carry. It constantly came loose and would start to unscrew itself. I would hesitate to loctite the guide rod because it has to be unscrewed to disassemble the pistol.

I am back to the stock one piece guide rod in the Pro Carry.

I love the simplicity of my Springfield Champion and full size 1911s. The joys of no tools required take down.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JM on 2001-10-06 08:02 ]</font>

·
Registered
72 Posts
It bothered me at first, but after fiddling with it about 20 times I actually think it's easier to disassemble than a bushing. Just keep a few paperclips handy. The recoil spring is a pain, but then how often do you have to disassemble it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree with HowardK. I just bought a Kimber Ultra Eclipse. Disassembly seemed complicated at first but after doing it a couple times I think it may be as easy or easier than my full size with bushing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have abandoned full length guide rods. I don't want a pistol that I can't field strip with out tools. The two-piece guide rod was the first thing to go from my SA Loaded FS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.