Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, since we're discussing ammo at great length, anyone have an opinion on 200 grain jhp ammo? I'd thought it may be a good compromise between lightweight 185 grain and slow 230 grain. I'm currently using 230 grain Hydrashock because I don't want to shoot +P in my lightweight commander. I have every confidence in the HS round, but will admit I had previously used Corbon +P 200 grain (in steel framed guns or Glocks)due to its higher velocity and flatter trajectory . When I first started using it in the early 90's it used the speer "flying ashtray" bullet, now I think it's a XTP, but I'm not sure.

Regards,

Tim

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I think I'll stick with the 230 grain Hydras in my lightweight commander. I was just wondering if anyone had any strong opinions one way or the other regarding the +P 200 grain stuff.

Tim

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
David,

I look forward to reading the results of your testing. I'm also interested in any noted difference in point of impact at 15 and 25 yards when compared to 230 grain ammo in a properly regulated fixed sight pistol (particularly a commander).

Tim

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jim H,

Thanks for your comments regarding point of impact. I have had similar experiences, was just wondering if maybe I'm not a good enough shot to tell the difference!

I raised the question because have a steel framed commander project in the works with Dane, and I'm having the sights regulated for 230 grain ammo. Just checking to see if my opinions are way off base. I'm very fond of the +P 200 gr. jhp round but haven't used it in a while since I switched to an aluminum framed commander for off duty carry.

I also have a 5 inch gun that has had work done by a local smith. (He's since discontinued his gunsmithing activities.) It's all finished except for sights and reparkerizing. It was dead on prior to fitting the match barrel, now shoots about 3 inches high. I was thinking about having MMC adjustable sights installed, just wondering what front sight height to order.

Tim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.