Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can this be removed and replaced with a stock item without trouble? The reason I'm asking is I'm under the impression that only some of the 2001 models (like the TRP) come with the S&A magwell standard, and if were to buy the fullsize base model, I'd like to be able to throw a magwell on it :smile:

What's the general opinion around here of the 2001 guns? Dane seems to like them from what I have read, and it looks like they can be picked up fairly cheap :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JLM on 2001-05-31 00:10 ]</font>

·
Registered
934 Posts
I purchased a 2001 Loaded Champion. Great gun. Decent fit. Finally, dovetailed front sight and Novak Tritum night sights. The previously sharp edges have been broken enough to stop cutting you. Trigger is excellent for a factory trigger. Breaks at about 5lbs as far as I can tell. No noticeable creep.

Regarding the ILS MSH. You can swap it with any MSH on the market. However, you will need to purchase a MS cap pin and maybe another MS cap.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mute :smile:

G

·
It is sort of on topic, but I thought this was a good place to mention it, some time ago a reader posted of an FBI spec MSH/magwell with a lanyard loop on it for the TRP.
Does anyone know who makes it as I cannot locate the source and I intend to put one on each of my TRPs?

·
Registered
37 Posts
What about the barrel?

I hear that the new Springfields are coming with a barrel that has some of the metal that would support the case-head being machined away.

This is supposed to be a safety "improvement"

I guess you are supposed to look down through the machined-away area of the barrel and see whether or not your gun is loaded!

Has anyone here bought one of the new Sringfields?

G

·
Five "new" Springfields and they call it the "loaded chamber indicator" it is very small/thin and you really can use it and it does not seem to be large/wide enough to make any difference.

G

·
I do know that a great many of the "titanium" parts are actually only 10% titanium and often 90% aluminum or alloy, they are very soft and that is not a good thing when we speak of gun parts.
I know several companies have attempted to correct/hide this fact by coating them with Gold T Nitride to harden the surface of the part.

The Springfield part seems to be ok, but I would pull it and install a hardened steel part in a defensive pistol, just to "be sure".

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Yep, no TiN parts in my guns either. This was a debate from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away....and there are definitely two camps with views on this.

David is correct - they are too soft to be used in anything except a race gun. Titanium Nitride is simply a coating. Coatings will wear. Then you are left with parts made of Play-doh.

Get a steel firing pin, and add an extra power FP spring if you think you may want to drop your gun once in a while. :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shane Kropf on 2001-06-24 13:15 ]</font>

·
Registered
42 Posts
Back to the pin. Does anyone know if this is a coated AL part or some low hardness alloy coated with TiN.

By the way. . .How do you wear a coating with a hardness of 80 Rockwell C and natural lubrication properties?

Think long. . .Think Wrong!

·
Registered
95 Posts
The firing pin is one thing I don't like about my brand spanking new Springfield. It's made for a 9mm and a standard GI firing pin will not fit the pistol. I know I tried already. I'm going to call Springfield and see if they can fix that for me if I send in my slide.

Their barrel is weird compared to others I've seen in my very limited experience. I'm not talking about the fact that it's two piece, but the way it narrows behind the portion where the bushing fits. Eventually when I can outshoot the gun (I hope) I'll have a Kart fitted I think.

The firing pin is really bugging me though. If Springfield can't ream out the firing pin hole for a standard firing pin, then a trip to the gunsmith is in order. Funny thing though, my dealer who is very knowledgeable about guns didn't realise there was any difference.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.