Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone shoot a .22 conversion on a 1911 for the rimfire stages? It seems that would eliminate any need to adapt between different grips and triggers. Are they not accurate enough to compete? If the accuracy was there, it seems that a good basic 1911 with a 3.5lb trigger, and a .22 conversion kit could do it all, at less total cost than 2 separate guns. Any thoughts?

Patrick

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've been shooting a Marvel conversion in bullseye matches for the past three months. It definitely has the accuracy and reliability needed to win provided the shooter does his part.

As you noted, using the Marvel means having the same grip and the same trigger through an entire 2700. In my case, the consistency isn't perfect because I mount the conversion unit on my back-up .45 instead of on my Rock River pistol. (The slide stop hole in the RRA pistol is a bit too small for the Marvel's slide stop. A conventional slide stop can be modified to work but I haven't bothered.)

So why isn't it more popular? Well, for one thing, the Marvel unit is fairly new and many shooters have been put off the "one frame, two caliber" concept by the shortcomings of some of the earlier conversions (e.g., the Kart). The Marvel also costs more than a basic Ruger MkII or Browning Buckmark. More importantly, though, even the best 3.5 pound trigger is going to be harder to shoot than a comparable 2 pound trigger. And no pistol based on the 1911 is ever going to have the low bore line of a Pardini or an IZH. So the shooter who chooses to use a Marvel does make life a little tougher for himself. Finally, the Marvel might be a little hard to use with a frame-mounted dot sight -- I use slide mounts so that's not an issue for me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, that's kind of what I figured. I'd not seen the Marvel unit before. I was thinking of the Kimber/Ceiner version. It seems that by the time you get a MkII or Buckmark set up with a good trigger and ready to compete, you'd be about up to the cost of the Marvel. Anyway, something to think about. Incidentally, the website for Marvel is marvelprod.com.

Patrick

·
Registered
579 Posts
If you are working toward your Distinguish Pistol Points the Marvel is a very good idea with your hardball pistol. Check out Florida Bullseye on the Marvel unit too. I don't have the URL handy to paste here. If you set up a frame for it you can shoot the 2# trigger allowed in .22 matches too! Good Luck. Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.