Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I'm considering getting a Pro Carry but does the .22 conversion kit work for the Pro Carry?
If it does, any reason to believe I should get the kit or should I just get a separate .22 piece for target practise?
I read varying stuff on the pros and cons of the kit. Some say it's accurate, some say it's not. Some say it's fun and some say otherwise.
Any concerns with converting the pistol back and forth?
I chose the Pro Carry 'cos I wanted a mid size 1911 type .45 for target and CCW. Of course, if the answer is NO to my first question, then everything else is irrelevant :wink:
Thanks.

· Registered
26 Posts
my girlfriend bought me the .22 conversion for my b-day. it works great on my pro carry. i'm not accurate enough to tell you it the kit really is. but it kills tin cans w/ alarming regularity at 15 yds (give or take). it goes on and comes off in a snap. just field strip the .45 off the top, slide on the conversion, and put the slide stop back into place. my only gripe is that i fails to feed occasionaly and the slide doesn't lock back after the last round. other than that it's been a blast to shoot.

· Registered
112 Posts
Don't buy the Kimber/Ceiner unit...you will be disappointed. Buy a Marvel .22 conversion. Accurate, reliable, versitile, and just plain cool! It will work with any 1911/STI/SV/Para frame. See Marvelprod.com.

· Registered
272 Posts
Well, I've been real happy with my Wilson (Ceiner) unit. It's not bullseye match - competitive, but it costs less than the Marvel unit and suits my purpose: introducing people to the joys of shooting (a 1911), practicing drills on the cheap, etc.

Say what you will about the lowly .22lr, but it has dropped every plastic soft drink bottle or aluminum can that's charged me like it was hit with - um, a .45...

· Registered
2,110 Posts
Hello. I have one of the Kimber Platinum conversions. My assessment of the unit is mixed.

First, it groups OK, but not match grade and such is to be expected. It's been utterly reliable and the fact that it does not have slide lock-back capabilities is not that big a deal with this unit. Still it would be nice.

With the adj sights all the way down, the POI is still about 3" above POA. Perhaps I can change the front sight, but have concerns as the slide is aluminum and I don't know if the dovetail in which the front sight's mounted will remain tight with removal of the old sight and installation of the replacement.

Wear seems OK for aluminum thus far, but I've only got a few hundred rounds through the gun. We'll see.

The main downside is that it's a royal monster to disassemble. The unit's disassembly is not at all complicated, but is difficult due to having to grasp the FLGR and hold it forward against spring compression while trying to lift out the bbl, which has a very, very small window of opportunity in where it will come out.

Best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.