Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
off hand the pros would be low recoil, light weight, cheap ammo.

The cons would be shot placement would be critical!!! Even heavy clothing could save an attacker. It's just not a very big round almost anything could make it deflect and not reach vitals.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I would go with either a heavy solid or something like the CCI Stinger, leaning to the stinger.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
350 Posts
My take on this: The pros of it are that you could afford to pratice regularly and .22's seem to be really easy to shoot well at close range. Also, the gun is small if that is a plus for you.

The cons: The main con in this is that you are going to be able to convince yourself that you are walking around loaded for bear with your .22. I honest to goodness think that you are way better off with a fixed blade knife, or even a quality folder than you are with a .22. The guy will probably end up dying, that is true, but that will be after he has done whatever he wanted to do to you and your loved ones. If you are going to carry a .22 for self-defense please consider carrying a good pepper spray with you. If it all goes down spray the guy and start backing up with your loved ones. Then shoot if you have to. But, if you just shoot someone with a .22 and they find out about it they are going to get really angry and that is going to be a problem. I worry that a 230 grain 45 acp round won't stop someone and plan on shooting until they go down and cannot cause further damage, and that is a big and powerful round.

It is your life and you will and should do what you think will meet your needs. But if I was going to carry a small .22 for defense there are several other things I would carry with it (and before it if I had to choose)
1. A heavy cane
2. Pepper spray
3. A good knife

Please at least consider this commentary before you decide for yourself what is best.

Good shooting - Jake

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jake Salyards on 2001-09-26 12:18 ]</font>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.