Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In semi-autos like the Mini-14, is it necessary for factory ammo to have cannelured bullets? Or is a round like the Win USA 55gr FMJ with no canelure OK? What about handloads - cannelures? Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I checked this out and no one I found is having problems with non-cannelured 223 bullets in semi-autos. One handloader polished his sizing ball down a bit to tighten the case grip.

·
Registered
136 Posts
But without the cannelure the bullet will tumble but not fragment.

Which is why all .225/5.56 is not created equal.

If you want the best performance from a .223/5.56, you need the cannelure. The bullet tumbles and as it reaches 90 degrees, splits into two pieces at the cannelure. This is part of what makes this round such a great stopper.

I believe it might also have to do with the type of jacket, but IIRC the cannelure is what causes the fracture.

I'm just reiterating what I've learned over at http://www.AR15.com. Go to the Ammo forum and there's a FAQ there that is great.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I won't be buying anymore ammo that is not M193 spec.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jac - Thanks for the information. I ended up buying cannelured bullets after all. Also, the Win USA is cannelured. My error. I'll check out that website. L

·
Registered
503 Posts
When the Winchester 64 gr. Power Point first came out I tried them out for the Dept. They would feed in the Mini-14 but they shoved the bullets back into the case - and failed to chamber - in the AR. Later versions were cannelured but. They did not set back but they still failed to feed in some ARs. Too bad it is a good bullet.

I just shoot M193 ball in the AR/M-16 or 60 gr. Hornady TAP ammo.

Good luck!
Jim H.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.