Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for a used 229 but ended up getting a used 228. I was just wondering what the real differences were because they seem so similar. The 229 had what I'd call a "chunkier" slide than the 228 but that was the only difference I noticed.

Extremely pleased with my purchase, but any help on the tech side is greatly apprieciated!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found a similar post a few pages back. The slide was the only difference? It just seems that there has to be more than that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The slide is the main difference. It is made of stainless, is slightly wider(beefy) to handle the 40 & 357. That beefiness is why the cocking serations are shaped the way they are instead of like other Sigs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The only difference between a 228 and a 229 9mm is the slide.

The 229 has a slightly heavier stainless milled slide with external extractor. Cocking serrations are lower because the slide would be too heavy if they were full height like a 228.

The 228 has a carbon steel sheet metal slide with breech block pinned in and an internal extractor.

229s in 40S&W or 357Sig have wider mag wells and breeches are wider (obviously to accomodate a fatter case).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts