Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
What is involved in setting up a 1911 to shoot the .357 Sig cartidge. I like my Glock 33, but would rather shoot this calibre through a Government model. Any such pistols currently available?
Gonzo

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I don't think there are any 1911 pistols that come in .357 Sig; however, you should be able to convert a .40S&W 1911 (which are made by several manufacturers) to .357 Sig with nothing but a barrel swap.

·
Registered
205 Posts
And while you're at it... Take that 40, and have a 10mm barrel done too! Then you have a 3 caliber gun :wink:

You can also base your 357 Sig from a 10mm, and might be better since the 10 is a higher pressure cartridge, it's likely to tolerate the stresses.

·
Registered
205 Posts
>> Why?

Some people think that the Bottlenose shape of the 357 SIG feeds better, and maybe there's a valid argument there, but I haven't seen a problem with other calibers if the guns setup correctly.

The downside for the 357 SIG, as well as the 40 or the 9 is that they are considered too short for the 1911 action, compared to the 38 Super, 9x23, 10mm or 45, which creates a feed problem, so who knows...

Personally, I wouldn't be that excited about the 357 SIG, but there are some who are... I'd prefer the 9x23 for that kind of performance, for the better round count, just my $.02 :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.