Pistol Smith Forum banner

357mag/44mag short lever guns - opinions

19K views 35 replies 26 participants last post by  Jim Higginbotham 
Tom,

I would really think hard about doing such a conversion. I started looking into just such a project two years ago. I contacted Brockman and Wild West and neither wanted to touch it. I found out Keith Dehart (713-771-3336) has done a conversion on Marlins. Give him a call, maybe he can fill you in? There was also another smith that tried it with .45 Colt W-94s and from what I heard he stopped doing them due to stretched receivers.

As you probably know, the .454 Casull is producing 54,000+ CUP. This pressure level is comparable to the .300 WinMag. Now the .300 WinMag has been chambered for the Browning BLR lever gun, so we know it can be done with a lever gun. But IMHO, I just don't think the .45 Colt Marlin is built quite stout enough for the .454 Casull. It is your business, but I would hate to see you have a problem with the higher pressure levels of the .454 Casull round.

My lever gun/single action revolver dream cartridge combo is the .475 Linebaugh. Since the .475 Linebaugh is based on the .45-70 case (w/less powder) it is a good conversion candiate for my .45-70 Marlin Guide Gun. Interestingly enough, I have come to find out Nonneman Custom Rifles (660-927-3401) is building a .475 Linebuagh lever gun. Maybe they could tell you more about the .454 Casull in a lever gun?

DD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.