Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I know the politics and stories behind it. But you wonder why I was so reluctant to ship my gun back to Wilsons. If they charge me for the return trip, I'll be into this "free warranty" repair for $74.80. That's a SureFire Z2 and its holster.

Does Wilsons tag you for the trip back, or do they pick that up?

Do other private smiths charge both ways? I can't see how they can afford to pick it up.

Geez, all because UPS couldn't keep it's employees from walking away with guns shipped via ground....

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
No...all because they saw a great opportunity to make US pay for all the terrible things we've done for them...Since we can't MAIL them legally...well, they can kinda' do whatever they want...

...Reminds me of insurance companies

G

·
I am really surprised to see that UPS could lose items from the distribution points (hubs) as I know the Phila. Area corporate lose prevention director and the lose prevention guidelines are extremely strict, security in the Phila area is very heavy and all personnel coming in and out are searched and screened through metal detectors.

I believe I read that the trucks were often hit during the "regular" deliveries.

Where is UPS losing these guns?

·
Registered
262 Posts
On 2001-07-07 08:22, David DiFabio wrote:

I am really surprised to see that UPS could lose items from the distribution points (hubs) as I know the Phila. Area corporate lose prevention director and the lose prevention guidelines are extremely strict, security in the Phila area is very heavy and all personnel coming in and out are searched and screened through metal detectors.

I believe I read that the trucks were often hit during the "regular" deliveries.

Where is UPS losing these guns?
David, they're not losing them . . . they're stealing them. UPS changed its policies last year because so many of their employees were stealing guns shipped via UPS, primarily at the Atlanta hub -- lots and lots of Glocks through there.

They caught several employees stealing and decided to charge the consumer to ship priority overnight rather than dealing with the problem internally.

Chad

·
Registered
176 Posts
Many FFL`s ship USPS Registered Mail, and will offer that service to customers.

It takes alot of balls for a employee to grab something out of that tight system, and when cought it`s long hard time.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are there any other shipping options (not including a long road trip:)) other than FedEx or UPS? Can we use USPS Registered Mail? How much does it cost?

I used FedEx because I've read that they give you less of a hassle than UPS's new policies. Also because UPS kind of crapped on us with that policy change. Apparently (per the lady I talked to shipping my gun) FedEx has never allowed shipping of guns via ground service. It's always been the big buck next day air service.

But if the gun doesn't work this time coming back from the shop, I'll have to send it again. That's around $140 -- enough dough to have Wilson's put 30 lpi checkering on the fronstrap. I guess I recall sending my gun back to Wilson's to get an ambi safety installed and recall it was like $10 or so. Almost doesn't make sense these days to send it back for a $40 part. I'm going to save up and next time it goes back to Wilson's it'll get checkering on the front strap and new parkerized finish.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Like someone said, if you have a friend or at least a good dealer with an FFL...they can use the postal system...Fed-Ex is it for me...Sucks mostly.

·
Registered
65 Posts
On 2001-07-07 11:56, gyp_c2 wrote:
..Fed-Ex is it for me...Sucks mostly.
A friend here lately tried to ship Fedex and they said the gun had to be rendered inoperable or be shipped in two containers. This is what was in latest issue of American Handgunner, also. Have you found a way around this?

·
Registered
580 Posts
FWIW & "Rendered Inoperable": IIRC, a couple of mfg's. {Glock & Sig} sent pistols back via UPS with the trigger held fully rearward {as if fired} with a nylon tie-wrap.

Have used FedEx "2nd Day" a lot for handguns.
They never ask except for the "Dangerous Goods" box question.

Re UPS employee theft: Locally one of their employees was {finally} caught diverting shipped long guns to his own home address {RSR, etc. is local}. Ironically a co-worker noticed there was no bar-code {?} or something of that nature and "Flagged" it.

They don't follow their own rules anyway.
A UPS Driver tossed a Steyr M40 on my small open porch on a very busy street. Two weeks later a Driver shows looking for a signature!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Okay, here's a story;
We had a show, and had a bunch of guns on the UPS truck, 5 boxes worth.
He brings in 3 boxes, clearly marked 1 of 5, etc. We tell him there's 2 other boxes. He says they're probably in the truck somewhere, but he's not looking for them. If he finds them later, he'll drop them off if he's in the area. We explain the whole "leaving at noon" thing.
He gets pissed off, takes the 3 packages and leaves. We call UPS, they don't care.
Later, they deliver 4 of the boxes, different driver, and find the 5th box on someone's lawn, opened and scattered from the toss. They "investigate" but nothing was ever done.

G

·
On 2001-07-07 11:51, JacRyan wrote:

But if the gun doesn't work this time coming back from the shop, I'll have to send it again. That's around $140 -- enough dough to have Wilson's put 30 lpi checkering on the fronstrap.
Jac,
Unfortunately one of Buba's early laws over 15 years ago was legislated to protect the business owners in Arkansas; if Wilson's were located in PA you could demand and receive a full refund for your shipping charges.

·
Registered
284 Posts
All of the shipping Companies are costly.

My bill for shipping UPS last year alone was in the neighborhood of $2600 for guns. I pay that to the buyer. Average cost to ship is $42 with full insurance.

Do not be penny wise and pound foolish and try to save by not insuring for full replacement cost for whatever you ship.

I do not use FEDEX and here is why.

Currently I have gotten two of three in from FEDEX with problems. I am currently in a claim status from a one man shop gun shipped by FEDEX and not delivered for the amount of $4200.

I do not exist with FEDEX or at least my town doesn't because the computer program with ZIP codes does not have my small town on file. One out of four FEDEX has to be picked up at the main transfer point.

Two packages to be delivered the same day from two different gunsmiths. One got off of the truck the other didn't.

Here we go again.

When someone pays the shipping be aware he is doing you a favor.

Three rules for shipping.

INSURE, INSURE, INSURE,

For full retail value.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just for the record, I never meant to imply that I thought it was Wilson's problem for not paying shipping. It's not Wilson's problem. I accepted that be dealing with an out-of-state manufacture who is not distribute through my local gun shops.

This is the direct result of social, PC and business pressures to make the individual gun owner pay for all the losers and scumbags who commit crimes with firearms.

I'll be that the "$19.99 + free Ginsu steak knifes" company doesn't have to pay for air freight on the knifes, though I'll bet that those steak knifes are responsible for more crime and are carried by drug dealers more often than Gaston Glocks product....

Freakin' blah blah blah blah.... I should keep my mouth shut at this point.

G

·
Actually,
The Ron Perlman (Romco) created Ginsu knife line has changed hands 11 times since 1987 and was last reported in chapter 11 bankruptcy under the UK holding company ****** Associates.

They were also once owned by the world famous manufacturer of the simulated Raquel Darian ****** among other products.

Interestingly enough the NORINCO, China manufacturing company produced a line of serrated bayonet style field knives for the PLO utilizing/copying the patented Ginsu edge geometry/design in 1993.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David DiFabio on 2001-07-08 13:24 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I bet they made some money with those products...

I agree...Don't talk too much and insure, insure, insure...

If you think about it, there must be lots of ways to make a 1911 inoperative...Geez, most times people are trying to accomplish the "reverse"?!

BTW...I wouldn't use a company that didn't have a record of my town either...For that matter, UPS thinks my place is in the middle of a no-access security building...
That little ditty popped up after they had to pay Brownells for feeding the dogs 100. worth of supplies...Geez...the sign says, "Don't Feed The Dogs"...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know that I'll get hammered for saying a kind word about S&W but last year I had to send a pistol back to them. They instructed me to fax them the Fed Ex receipt. A couple of weeks later I received a check from them covering my Fed Ex charges. The pistol was sent back at no cost. This was not an expensive pistol, it was a 22A, their low end 22 that sells for under $200.

G

·
I think the point should be made that it was not the employees of S&W or the owners of the company Tomkins Corp. in the UK that made the deal with Buba C.

The deal was entered into by S&Ws then CEO and he was also let go and replaced by Tompkins Corp.

I have sent multiple guns back and forth to the S&W performance center over the years and have never been charged for return shipping to me and they have "comp'd" a substantial amount of work over the years without sending me an invoice, this includes barrels, slides, and on two occasions an entire new PC gun.

·
Registered
378 Posts
On 2001-07-09 18:17, David DiFabio wrote:
I think the point should be made that it was not the employees of S&W or the owners of the company Tomkins Corp. in the UK that made the deal with Buba C.

The deal was entered into by S&Ws then CEO and he was also let go and replaced by Tompkins Corp.
To be fair, he decided to stay with the other company (lawn mowers?) when that other company was sold.
Topkin's is basically a conglomerate/ holding company. They don't issue edicts except "make us more money". They're not the Evil Brits stealing American Rights, they don't care one way or the other. In this fact, I think the new owner's Saf-T-Lok/ Hammer are much worse in their actions.

I have sent multiple guns back and forth to the S&W performance center over the years and have never been charged for return shipping to me and they have "comp'd" a substantial amount of work over the years without sending me an invoice, this includes barrels, slides, and on two occasions an entire new PC gun.
S&W actually issue's call tags now to pick up guns if you call them, you don't pay either way.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.