Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a chance to shoot the new 38 Casull at Montrose. Dick Casull sent his A-#1 man, Herb Hazen with 2 guns and a ton of ammo. An optional event was set up at the option range and for $5.00 you got to shoot 8 rounds at targets set at 25,50,75, and 100 yds. Talk about a smokin' hot load. All you have to do is hold dead on and the target's yours. Would you belive 124 gr. bullet at 1800 fps? By the amount of brass left on the ground at the end of the day, I think everyone there must of shot it several times ( I know I did).

Here is Herb holding the two guns he brought. If all of the guns are like the ones here, Anyone would be thrilled to own one. These had 1 lb. triggers and were tight as a tick. These guns will also double as tree trimmers when all else fails, right, Herb?

------------------

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bruce Warren on 2001-08-09 15:15 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Are they all 6" barrels? I'd love to have a 5 or maybe even a 4" piece...Any idea if that ammo is available loaded? I haven't seen the dimensions of the cartridge...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think they offer less than 6" but who knows. Maybe if they get enough interest in shorter barrels. Casull has the ammo and I think Starline is going to offer the brass. I can't remember but I think Herb said something about load data being available.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Forever with the right set-up I think. Don't you think with the right springs and buffs, it would work just fine...Barrel wear? Pretty hot at that speed...What d'yall think?

·
Registered
548 Posts
The barrel would go 15-20K rounds before it would be shot out is my guess.

The reason for the six incher is so you can burn all that slow powder. 10-13 grains of it would be another guess. 38 Casull in a commander would be borderline useless. 9x23 would be better in a commander length. And its not designed for plinking. Dick designed it for hunting, hence the long sight radius.

I once had a 9x25 in a single stack. Man that thing just sucked to shoot.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Hey Hozer...what sucked with the 9x25?...I understand your points about the Casull BTW...

:wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.