Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting a 342PD for pocket carry and was wondering about loads. I think several members own these guns so it would seem to be a great place to ask. My first choice, I believe, for .38spc would be a 158gr LSWCHP +P, but S&W advises no lead +P rounds, and it seems wise to heed their advise. I am concerned about penetration, and cold weather (i.e., thick clothing) performance. The thoughts I had were a 158gr +P FMJ, 158gr +P JSP, 158gr LSWCHP std. velocity, 140 or 158gr XTP-HP, or, the newest thought, one of the Hornady XTP FP-XTPs (125/158gr) at +P. Anyway, what is everybody that has one of these things using?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: telackey on 2001-09-19 22:55 ]</font>

·
Registered
414 Posts
I would recommend the Hornady 158gr XTP-JHP. A close friend of mine has tested this load in all kinds of medium, and it's his load of choice for his S&W snubby, which is his daily carry while on duty as a narcotics officer.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com

·
Registered
414 Posts
None of the 125 grain loads penetrate to even the minimum 12" standards.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even jacketed bullets jumped their crimp? I find that rather surprising.

I know handloads for defence are often frowned upon, but what about using hard cast 158gr lead bullets?

12" is not enough to me, I would prefer more like 16", expansion is a very secondary concern.

Just saw a Speer 170gr GD-SP, rather unique, but I cannot imagine it would expand at .38spc velocities (neither would the 158gr XTP-SP)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: telackey on 2001-09-20 14:58 ]</font>

G

·
FWIW,
My 342pd is loaded with Corbon 158gr +P+ LSWCHP.
I have run about 200 rounds with this load through my gun.
Recoil is what it is, I do not feel that it is either painful or difficult.
I will say that the most rounds I have run at one time was about 50.

I will also say that using this round is probably a bad idea and would recommend against it as it will seriously accelerate the wear on your pistol and could even cause the pistol to fail/break.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought I might get a 442 for practice and a 342PD for carry, so the wear can be spread out over them. How about the +P+, they have not pulled out in firing? You seem, obviously, to think it suitable for carry... Is that a special order load?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: telackey on 2001-09-21 00:04 ]</font>

G

·
They have not pulled and have been very reliable,just be aware that they do wear on your gun and will decrease it's life quite a bit, probabaly to just a few thousand rounds.

For those that are curious, they do not expand per say, rather they flatten out into fairly sharp little squares.

I am not sure if I have taken photos of this load yet, I will post one if I have them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.