Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plan to start reloading for my .38 Super STI Trubor and would like to use 38 TJ brass. I'm assuming I can use the same shell plate and reloading dies (Dillon 650) as for the std 38 Super. Anyone have any pet loads that are about 170PF and under 1350 fps? Our club limits steel to a max of 1350. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Dies, yes; shellplate - I doubt it.

.38 TJ and .38 SC are rimless, while the original .38 Super is semi-rimmed. I think you'll need a different shellplate (probably 9mm). to keep the brass securely positioned.

The obvious solution is to call Dillon!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I use the .40 caliber shell plate for both .40 & 9mm (I believe it's the same. Check Brian Enos site for specific info). However, I recently switched from #2 pins to the larger #3 when reloading 9mm.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I use the .40 caliber shell plate for both .40 & 9mm (I believe it's the same. Check Brian Enos site for specific info). However, I recently switched from #2 pins to the larger #3 when reloading 9mm.
Given the obvious difference in diameter (.355 vs. .401), I believe they cannot POSSIBLY be the same shellplate.

I load both .40 and .38 Super on my 550 and use a separate caliber kit for each.

·
Registered
2 Posts
9 mm plate for the tj , super comp and all RIMLESS 38 super brass

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a question about reloading for the super 38 can someone help me?? I have been reloading for around 30 years with bench rest riffles and hunting rifles. My father gave me a 38 super he used in comp. back in the 1950 and early 60. I got brand new star line brass .355 hornady 124 xtp bullets with lyman dies and the bullets will go in the barell about half way and that's it. There's no apparent budge in the shell but the empty brass will go in the barell but when a bullet is put in it will not go into the barell. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Found the answer to my own question: about why my reloads won't go into my barell all the way.there is a good article in shooting times called the plunk test which took me back to the basics very refreshing and it solved my issue. Sorry to have bothered anyone on this forum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts