Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Colt .38 Super that I really enjoy shooting. I just finnished off the last of the ammo for it. While looking around for more I have found that it is tough to find non +p rounds. I am looking for some stuff for paper punching and that's all. It is all for close range, fun and practice. So my requirements are non- +P and cheap! Is there such a thing?

Would it be cheaper and easier to "convert" the gun to a different caliber say 9mm for cheaper more available ammo? What would be involved?

· Registered
2,110 Posts
Hello. I'm not sure, but I think that practically all .38 Super ammuntion is so marked to keep it out of a few, remaining .38ACP pistols still around.

I know that Winchester's 125 gr Silvertip load used to run about 1250 ft/sec which is not hot at all for a Super, more like a +P 9mm! I think you could probably shoot any of the ball ammo and not really be shooting ammunition that was truly +P with regard to the Super.

Unfortunately, I'm not too learned on this caliber, but others here are and I'll bet they'll have the "for sure" information for you.

Best.

· Registered
562 Posts
38 Super is labled plus p just because some one in marketing called it that. It is running in the 30,000 psi range normally and I personaly don't think it should be labled plus p. I had the same question when I got my 38 Super.

There should be no plus p 40 S&W because it cannot be loaded hotter that it was designed The same goes for the 10mm which also has been downloaded from the origional loads in most cases, so you cannot call it plus p when you load it to the normal 200gr. at 1200 fps origional load. :roll:

It seems like plus p is used mostly for advertising for the un-informed. IMHO

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, then here is the situation. When this gun was given to me I was also handed to boxes of cartriges. One box was labeled Remington .38 Super +P. And the other was labeled Remington .38 Super. I shot the gun for the first time last night. The non +P loads had a VERY VERY different muzzle blast! The recoil in this gun is so soft I can't compare that. However the sound and flash from the muzzle was almost twice as big when shooting the +P. I had a friend with me and he even asked what happened when I started shooting the +P loads.

These boxes were older. Did they used to make a +P and non +P load? and stopped? I am going to be using this gun for punching paper and that's it. So I just want the noise and muzzle flash lower if I can help it.

· Registered
562 Posts
I have not seen any .38 Super that was not +p here in my part of Wyoming. Unless a serch of Winchester, Remington, PMC, et. shows it available, custom or handloads might be the only way to get the power down.

· Registered
77 Posts
If you want 38 Super non-plus P you need to find 38 Auto ammo. This was for the original 38 caliber automatics, the 38 Super was introduced in 1928 IIRC, and it was a 130gn FMJ at 1300fps or so. Semper Fidelis...Ken M

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.