Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody familiar with this round? Supposedly, it combines the thicker and strengthened wall of the 9x23mm with the stacking advantages of a straight-walled case.

I've heard from two knowledgable people that .38 TJ is a better way to go than the 9x23mm. Dave Dawson apparently built a gun for Jarrett that has gone somewhere around 20,000 rounds of .38 TJ (probably more by now) without a single malfunction.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

http://www.defensereview.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: viper on 2001-07-27 00:26 ]</font>

·
Registered
555 Posts
From what I understand it is a straight wall case like the super, thickness of the 9x23 and a modified extractor groove that is deeper than the 9x23, 9mmsupercomp and 38 supercomp. No reason that it shouldn't work, I know of a few IPSC shooters who have had no problems. But then again, I have seen guns in 38 super, 9x21, 9x23, 9mmSC, 38sc, 38TJ, 356TSW that have worked with no problem. You get my point. The one advantage to 9x23 is there is a couple of factory loads for the caliber, there are saami specs for the cartridge. 38TJ is strictly a handloading endeavor. Better?, could be..could be not. different..yes.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I recently went over to TJ and I like it a lot more than 9x23. No taper to the case so you don’t have any nose dive problems when you top off a big stick. The brass seems tougher also. But man is it a pain sorting through brass getting rid of all the super, supercomp, 9x23 and 9x21.

For self defense, the 9x23 and Super are mo' better.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tom,

Are you saying 9x23mm is mo' betta' because you can get factory ammo, and you don't have to go sifting for it, or is there something else better about it?

From everything else you said, it sounds like the .38 TJ is a better round, besides the fact that there is no available factory ammo for it.

Maybe we should get Dane in here.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Isn't a tapered case better for feeding and extracting? the only thing the TJ excels at is the ability to load lots in the double stack mags. I still prefer the 9x23 and the brass is easier to come by.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.