Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Can anyone recollect / cite for me any incident(s) -- OR sources of information on same -- in which continuously reloaded .40 cases "ruptured" while being fired in a Glock?
(I'm not inquiring about KB's resulting from using cast or lead bullets.)

Over the past 9 to 12 months I clearly remember getting at least 3 such posts in which the writer either witnessed the "failure" +/or knew the shooter / gun's owner very well. (I believe the last I got was John Farnam but, for some reason, cannot bring up the DTI website this a.m.)

Anyway, this info is NOT being requested for any "this gun vs. that gun" topic but rather, for a friend and fellow IDPA shooter who's repeatedly reloading the same .40 cases for a G22.

He respects the concerns I expressed but, understandably, would like something more than just my "memory of hearing" about such incidents.

Thanks in advance for any reply (no flames, please) "THOR"

-----Original Message-----

>To: "Thorsen, Thor" <[email protected]>
>Subject: Glocks
>Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 07:40:40 -0400
>
>Hey Bud
> Sure hope I didn't come across to you as a smart ass when we were talking about the glocks at the range yesterday. If I did I apologize.
> I have been trying to find some info on the Glock .40 and reloads but have been unsuccessful so far. If you can identify some sights or address for me to send emails to I would certainly appreciate it.
> I went back through the Glock owners manual and the only thing I found there is the standard , Don't use reloads that all the manufactures put in there owners manuals to help hold off the suit happy lawyers.
>Thanks
>Royce
>

·
Registered
520 Posts
I saw a whole website devoted to self-destructing Glocks; it was glockKb or something like that. I also found a site discussing the energetic disassembly of a .40 Glock using FACTORY Federal defense ammo. Apparently the web was too thin for the Glock's unsupported chamber area. Fortunately for the shooter, he had a Hand-All which absorbed much of the shock (which severely cracked the frame) and thus protected his hand.

FWIW, I regularly shot 175 gr. LSWC in my Glock 23; I also followed each box with one or two jacketed rounds so that lead fouling would not be an issue. I also sold the Glock after 1. reading the article on kB's and 2. it kept going "click" instead of "bang," even after a pilgrimage to Smyrna.

Good luck...

·
Registered
500 Posts
If you look at the cases aftered they are fired out of a glock you'll see the bulge at the lower end of the sidewall. Repeated sizing and the blowout is inevitable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have heard that Federal had some problems with 40 cal brass seperating, bulging and making Glocks go boom. Now I am not Glock fanatic but I have owned several and have shot 10's of thousand of rounds throught them mostly my reloads. I have used Federal brass with the FC on them never had one problem. I think that Federal had a bad lot of them and that is it. I am begining to wonder if some of these people are not paying attention to what ammo they grab and say it is factory when it is not. I have seen people reload and put the ammo back in factory boxs and forget they are reloaded. Or maybe since the internet is so popular that only a few of these Kabooms have happened and the pictures have been spread so much we all think that there is alot more. I don't know but that is my 02 worth

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.