Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what any of you think about the longevity of the high presssure .40 in the hi power and the long term affects of it on the gun. I was told by a smith that it will not hold up unless I use lower pressure reloads in this gun for practice.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've had a .40 for about six years. I say hogwash If your worried about the full power loads put a wolff 22 lb recoil spring in. I use a 22lb for defense loads 180 gr JHP at 980 fps and an 18.5 lb spring for IDPA shooting 155 gr RNSWC at 825 fps. I would guestimate based on the different bullets I ve ordered that I have 2000 full power loads and about 4000 cast reduced loads thru mine.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Well, let's see...I stopped counting at 10k rounds through my BHP.40. Probably got 13-15k through it now. I don't use reduced power loads -- generally S&B for IDPA and Golden Sabers for defensive use. Nary a failure until I chipped the extractor claw. Once that was replaced the thing went back to rock solid reliability. I haven't seen any signs of wear or cracking except where the hammer rides the underside of the frame. The hammer has worn a slight groove there. I plan on having that worked on and replacing the stock hammer with a C&S hammer, but not anytime soon.

The BHP.40 is a great pistol.

Chad

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Hello. Felt recoil, as you know, is subjective and can be truthfully reported to be "different" from one shooter to another. To me, it's sharper than traditional 230 gr .45 loads and similar to the hot-loaded 185s. Part of this may also be due to the HP versus the 1911. I tend to note a bit more muzzle flip with the HP. I think that this is objective, but I do not like forty and I have to work at being such.

Best.

G

·
Stephen A. Camp, I agree with your thoughts on felt recoil with 40 S&W cartridges but I find the BHP 40 S&W to be the pistol with the softest recoil. Other than the BHP I truly like the Glock 27. Regards, Richard

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.