Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fortunate enough to be given a NIB .40 S&W Browning hi-power over the weekend. I love the hi-power more than any other pistol and have believed for some time that the .40 S&W version is a blasphemous abomination, so I accepted the gift with some misgivings. What would I do with it? I couldn't sell it and disappoint the giver. I couldn't keep it in good conscience with the ghosts of so many 9mm hi-powers of the past looking at me...and John Browning's shade sadly shaking his head in the misted distance. I thought that I should at least shoot it, though, since I had never messed with one. I had never even touched the unclean things with their ugly little cut on the left side of the slide to accomodate the slide stop and their heavy, bulky construction...they seemed to be mocking my sweet, sleek 9mm hi-powers. Well...I shot the thing and I am ashamed to say that I actually liked it. It doesn't even look as ugly to me as it used to. It will never replace my 9mm hi-powers (I am not a caliber freak) in my heart, but it is a viable alternative. I'll probably even get a little bit of customizing done to it to make it suit me a hair better.

G

·
There are two 40 caliber pistols that I really like. One is my BHP MKIII and the other is my Glock 27. If you eliminate the need for a small pistol I will take the BHP over all others I have shot. With this said, I have a CZ40 that I haven't shot yet. If you find you don't like the BHP 40 and you don't have the heart to sell it I have an answer. If you give to me I will provide it with a nice home and a set of Spegel grips to make it feel better. Enjoy your gift. Regards, Richard

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought my wife a BHP .40 because the gun store didn't have a 9mm. I was reluctant to buy her the .40 because I underestimated her ability to handle the hotter cartridge. Boy was I dumb. This has been a great pistol for my 4'10" Filipina. She shoots it VERY well, and loves it. To give it a work out, I shot a few IDPA matches with it, and even had a firearms academy instructor put through a bit of a torture test (high round count day with no cleanings), This gun has never jammed, or done anything but shoot, and shoot. I was skeptical too, but now I'm a believer in the .40 BHP.

Tom

·
Registered
49 Posts
I picked up a used .40 HP about a month ago. I have two 9mm HP, one a fairly new commercial one, and the other is a Kreigsmarine one from WWII. They shoot wonderful, and I was curious as to how the .40 one would perform. Let me tell you, I am a believer now. This Browning Practical has become my main carry pistol. Almost 1000 rounds so far, and not a single failure. I did break a recoil spring guide, but that was my fault. A spare from the parts box for the 9MM guns fit perfectly. This partucular gun shoots best (for me) with 180 grain HydroShocks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a BHP .40 a little over 2 years ago. I went through my state's qualification for CCW with this pistol. It is the finest .40 out there. It is amazing that its size can handle the high pressure .40; it does so without any problems. My BHP .40 had a high riding sear when purchased. I had the sear recut by a local 'smith which corrected the problem. I highly reccomend the BHP .40. Kurt Wickmann and Donald Williams do incredible work on these pistols and offer "no bite" modifications to the hammer. You will need this done if you shoot hot .40 ammo. Mine shot 155gr. Winchester silvertip and 135gr. Federal personal defense like a match gun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.