Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have one from several years back(maybe 10) that is a good gun, accurate as heck. The only drawback is the weight, but a good gun none the less. In passing I'll say that the 4003 is a piece of crap, thats the alloy framed 4006, you give up about 8oz's and a whole lotta accuracy. I realize that the S&W autos arent the nifty black wonder pistols everyone wants/carries but they are good tools that will do the job. I know here in Texas there has been a lot of police trade-ins available at a good price. Oh and the most underrated S&W auto, the 3913 is my favorite pistol, it's the one that my wifes carries and then I can say honey you might like this(insert pistol model), we buy it, she doesn't like it, goes in safe and has become my pistol... I dont agree with the politics of S&W, but then I didn't agree with the politics of our last president, but I supported him as the president of the USA.. Nuff said..Stay Safe

·
Registered
140 Posts
I am no fan of S&W autos, but if I were, the full size .40s would have cured me of my affinity. In my experience, I have found them to be about as ergonomic as a brick, unreliable, inaccurate, prone to parts breakage, poorly machined, etc., etc. When I began service with my present agency, I was immediately designated the dept's armorer, and I had my hands full. Our low mileage 4046s were shiny paperweights at best.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Quite interesting...

I am not a fan, nor do I care for any S&W semi, though I know a couple CHP officers who really (seriously) like theirs. Not sure why...

It's the issue duty weapon for the CHP, and while most have warmed up to it, I know at least 2 CHP officers who carry theirs off-duty, in preference to other alternatives. I suppose with the amount of training and shooting these guys do, the care the weapons receive from the department armorers, they feel confident with them.

I agree, there are bricks, and not suited to people like me with small hands.

I am sure there are more than a few CHP officers waiting patiently for the next iteration of Service Auto's to become approved, but until then, I guess they are satisfied that they have a tool that will work for them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It is the sidearm carried by WV State Troopers and members of the WV Department of Corrections.

I know a guy who said he was getting under 2.5 inches off hand with 155 grain ammo and he is not one to exaggerate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.