Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My .40S&W reloads which I use regularily in my hi-cap IPSC 1911 bind in the cylinder of my S&W 610 revolver after being fired. I have to tap the ejector rod on the edge of a table to pop the moon clip and 6 casings out!!! The recipe for that reload is: 5.2gr. AA No.2 powder, 180 gr. jacketed West Coast bullet, Federal small pistol primer and mixed brands of brass. I die check all my loads and discard if they bind or dont drop right into the Dillon cartridge die. At first I suspected undercuts in the cylinder but only my reloads bind up! 10mm factory loads, .40S&W factory loads and a friends 10mm reloads all eject fine; only my reloads bind and jam in the cylinder. Now I suspect high chamber pressure might be the culprit which is causing excessive expansion of the fired brass. Am on the right track? Can you suggest a load for the .40S&W with a 180 gr. bullet which makes IPSC major power factor(165,000) but has lower chamber pressures? Most loads show chamber pressures in excess of 30,000 psi. Also, when looking for an alternate recipe I stumbled on a quandry concerning Hodgdon "Clays" powder. How can 3.5gr Clays with a 180gr. bullet give 847fps and 34,300psi(OAL=1.125")AND the same 180gr. bullet with 4.0gr. Clays give 912fps and only 21,900psi(OAL=1.115")????? The latter load makes IPSC major power factor with a substantial decrease in chamber pressure which should solve my problem of expanded brass binding in the cylinder!!!!!! Any help and/or explanation would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you are having a hard time getting them out of the cylinder, and then cant put them back in the cylinder smoothly, then yes, the loads are a little warm.
The only way I know to run Clays to major with the 180s is to run the OAL to 1.200 or greater. Clays has a major pressure spike, and when it does, it can be a bad thing in the .40 case. Reading all the info I have seen with Clays and IPSC .40, I would not load it with 4.0gr at 1.150 OAL. Your revo should not have problems at 1.200 at all, and at that point loading the 180s to 165 pf should not be a problem, but work up slowly and use the chrono. The fed primers might be a little soft for this load, but I understand, all my match revos run federals also. Good luck and be safe, DC

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx Doug....I'm not stuck on Clays but I mentioned it because of the apparent contradiction in increased powder/reduced chamber pressure thingy! Please suggest or direct me to resources for a .40 load that makes IPSC major with lower chamber pressures using a 180 gr. bullet! Thanx again. All the .40 loads I see listed in the few manuals that I have access to show chamber pressures in the 30,000+ range!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Your specific powder/load might be producing some wierd pressure behavior that the relatively weak .40S&W brass is having problems coping with. BUT... I dunno. In my experience that sort of thing is kind of hard to pin down. I've fired loads from my 610 Classic (180gr @ 1400+ FPS... 252 PF :grin: ) that were obviously hot that weren't particularly sticky, while mild-for-.40 S&W stuff felt like they were glued in.

Some other random thoughts:

1. The 610 will stand up to loads easily that would kill a semi-auto 10mm, so pressure in and of itself probably isn't your problem unless your load is producing some truly flaky pressure behavior and/or some of your brass is unusually weak. Remember, we are talking about an unfluted-cylinder N-frame here with only a .400" bore. I'd worry about excessive case bulges in your 1911 first.

2. 40 S&W Major PF loads are probably gonna be over 30,000 PSI regardless; the SAAMI pressure spec for .40S&W tops out at 35,000 PSI so that isn't necessarily A Big Deal. IIRC 10mm is about 37,500 PSI and that 610 can cope with more like 39,000+.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CastleBravo on 2001-11-12 14:18 ]</font>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.