Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gang:

The ever-persuasive Shooting Buff himself called me the other day, and after about three seconds of convincing me, I met him for a Saturday morning of attendance at the local gun show, then we went to the range to work some rust out of our trigger fingers.

Since my agency went to the "One gun fits all" policy about 20 months ago, I stuffed both my Glock 21 and G-30 into the gun safe for posterity. I broke them out for this venture, and took about 200 rounds of ball ammo for fodder. The first thing I did was realize that I changed out the 8 lb connector that was in my G-17 with the 5 pounder that was in my G-21, since the G-17 is my standard IDPA "game gun" now.

I had forgotten how damn accurate that Model 21 really is! two full size high-cap sticks, and essentially one ragged hole at about 15 yards - offhand. Then SB wanted to shoot the Model 30, because he has no experience with either gun. He printed a group with the 30 that absolutely surprised him.

The 21 handles the recoil like an old friend, and is as easy to keep the front sight on target as any gun I have ever shot, regardles of caliber. The 30, for some reason, is as inherently accurate as anyone could ever expect.

Kudos goes to Herr Gaston.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Chris, Massad Ayoob has commented on the glock 30's ability to shoot really acurately. His position on that is that the shorter slide being equally wide as the G21 makes for a very stiff barrel lock up and minimum vibration during firing, or something like that anyway. His position is that the glock 30 is the most accurate of all the glocks, including the long slide variants. The only handicap is the short sight radius. Anyway, I'm glad your gun is serving you well.
Jake

·
Registered
169 Posts
Would have to agree with the accuracy potential and soft recoil of the G21. Although a little big for my hands, my G21 shoots as well, with less recoil, than both my 1911 and SIG P220. Ugly - yes - but a totally reliable, extremely accurate gun! :smile:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never thought about the lockup of the slide and barrel being exceptionally tight because of its girth... I'll have to think on that one to figure it out.

I DO know that they gun is very accurate, but a little tougher to control in rapid fire than the G-21.

The only thing that I have had to work around in that gun, is the fact that rapid reloads are tough for me, because my hands are pretty big, and I tend to block the mag well with my pinky and the base of my hand. Practicing with this helps, but the first few times of trying to fit both magazine and skin into the gun taught me that I needed to approach this gun a little differently!

And NO, Stick, I ain't selling you ANY of my .45's!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I switched to an H&K USP45 as result of my agency's issuance of same, but I was a long time carrier of an M21, and an M30 later on. They were the most accurate, reliable, and shootable carry guns I have had the pleasure of using. Mine both had 3.5 lb connectors and NY1 trigger springs. The M30 had Trijicons, while the M21 had MMCs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I also owns the 21 c, 30 and 36 models. I absolutely love them. Very accurate and soft recoiling. My first Glock was the 21, a long time ago, and i sold it in a trade for the Walther P-99. A real loss. I could buy now a 21 C, that's another experience. When i shoot the 30 i really wonder why i bought the 21 C, because the recoil is really minimal. But also loves the 21 C. At last, real good guns. In my opinion better than any other Glocks except maybe the 17 and 19.
Only fault, at least for myself, is that the 21 is a bit big for concealed carry.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Gone thru almost a dozen Glocks. The 1st & best {for me} was & is the 21.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just bought my first Glock...a Glock 21. What a great gun! I've shucked 300 rounds through it so far without a hitch. It handles recoil great, it's accurate, it's easy to shoot...shweeeet! Came with Meprolight night sights, and fingergrooved frame. I must be a real freak too, because I even like the trigger!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Oz,

The 21 wants to go back to the PR to get some sunshine and chase fast boats, fast planes, and fast women!!!!!! It does not like the dark. (safe)

Rob

·
Registered
163 Posts
I switched over to Glock 45 this year. We are the only agency in Hawaii that approves .45acp. Sad, huh...

Any of you guys had problems with the mags rattling? I have another post, but no solution or equal problem.

We are supposed to keep the trigger pull at about the 8lb range. Any ideas for a lighter felt pull, yet keep the actual weight near 8? There is only so much accuracy you can squeeze out of 8lbs.

Thanks in advance!

Aloha.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rob:

First, my G-21 has had ENOUGH time in PR! The desert suits it fine, for now anyway. Admittedly, the dark is NOT a place for it to reside. I guess I should hang it over the fireplace...

·
Registered
241 Posts
In Nov 1997 I saw the results of Mas shooting a G30 here in Sacramento during one of his classes. Mas shot our local Sheriff's Dept qualification course, getting one of the top scores ever in the Department's history. I saw a one hole group smaller than my fist. Not too bad :smile:....

On 2001-07-25 00:08, Jake Salyards wrote:
Chris, Massad Ayoob has commented on the glock 30's ability to shoot really acurately. His position on that is that the shorter slide being equally wide as the G21 makes for a very stiff barrel lock up and minimum vibration during firing, or something like that anyway. His position is that the glock 30 is the most accurate of all the glocks, including the long slide variants. The only handicap is the short sight radius. Anyway, I'm glad your gun is serving you well.
Jake

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.