Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings:

I just joined this forum. I'm also a new reloader. I've loaded rounds for my
30-30 (all went bang) and I'm getting ready to load some 45 acp.

My boss gave me 500 lead round nose, flat point bullets. We reloaded some ball
ammo together, using Bullseye. It shot ok, but was filthy dirty. Can someone recommend
a clean load for practice shooting? I'm thinking I should use either Clays or w231.

It would be nice if it was close to 'major', but not really necessary.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
D & J used to make a 250 gr. round nose flat point. If they are indeed 250's, I would start with about 3.0 grs of Clays. Clays is very clean burning, meters fairly well, and normally cheaper, as you use less powder compared to some of the others. First thing you need to do is to weigh those bullets......I believe that some other makers also market a 225 that is a round nose flat point. Does this help?

Rich

·
Registered
66 Posts
Lately I've been loading some lead 200 grain RNFPs as a practice round. I believe that this bullet was originally made for the cowboy action shooters, as it has a crimping groove for use in .45 Colt. I'm loading 5.2 gr of WW231 for about 750 FPS. For IDPA, I'll go up to 5.6-5.7 grs for 850 FPS out of a 5" Kimber barrel. If this is the same bullet that you are using, just be sure to seat it so that the end of the case is just below the crimping groove. This is to ensure that the taper crimp has some lead to bite into. If the bullet is seated so deep that the case mouth is at the groove, the bullet might get pushed down into the case during feeding, causing pressure problems.
Bill Go

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

The bullet is definitely 200gr. The label says:

D & J Bullet Co.
200gr LRNFP

There is a red groove just below the 'round' part of the nose. Is that the
crimping groove? If I load them to a proper OAL (1.25, right?) will I have any
trouble?

I like the suggestion of 231 powder. Unless someone suggests otherwise, Bill's
load is where I'm going to start.

Sorry for so many questions, but I'm a new reloader and a bit nervous/cautious.

thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have been loading Winchester WST which is extremely clean shooting. I load 4.0 grains behind a lead 200 gr. Semi wadcutter bullet (bull X)for a moderate load. I believe the various manuals go up to 5.1 grains as a maximum charge for this weight bullet. I assume that your bullets weigh more than 200 grains (because of the round nose form)so the maximum charge you could use would be LESS than that for a 200 grain bullet - just check the loading manuals for your particular weight bullet. Winchester actually has a "give away" pamphlet with loading data for its powders that you can probably find at any gun store that carries a significant amount of reloading supplies. Again, I recommend this powder because it is probably the cleanest shooting powder I have ever used.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
...weigh them anyway. Never take ANYTHING for granted while reloading.
You're on the right track otherwise. The red may be lube. Just set them up to be close to the 1.250 OAL...Take care with starting loads.All guns are different. A starting load in someones' pistol may be more or less than yours...Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
66 Posts
The groove you describe is the crimping groove. Seat the bullets so that the case mouth is just below the groove. Glad that the data is of use to you. 5.2 of WW231 is a very soft shooting load.
Bill Go

·
Registered
66 Posts
Correction to my last. Just re-read your post. The crimping groove should be clear (no lube in it). The crimping groove is the thin shallow groove nearest the pointy end of the bullet. The only other groove is the grease groove, which is considerably wider and should be packed with wax lube (usually red or blue).
Bill Go

·
Registered
77 Posts
i use a 200gr swc bullet and 5.5grns of 231, it seems to be a DIRTY combination. 300 rounds and your ready for a bath, the barrel usually isnt that dirty but feed ramp and inside of gun is awfully sooty and black and grimy. but it shoots good.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all who responded. I tried to load some of these bullets up today.
I couldn't crimp them enough to drop into the case length gauge without
buckling the case! Although the box specifically says ".452", they measure
.454 - .455 by my cheap midway calipers. So, I had the machinist across
the street measure 5 of them with a proper micrometer, and he said, "they are all
slightly bigger than .454. That's too fat for a 45 acp, right?

In spite of the box label, these are probably for an older 45 colt. No wonder
my boss gave them to me! I'll go to the store tomorrow and buy some bullets.

As far as powder... my wife says I have to use up the pound of Bullseye I have
before I buy more. (we're saving money for my eventual layoff and to move out of
California).

Thanks again for all the advise. Like I said, I'm pretty new to reloading.

Kenneth

·
Registered
77 Posts
sure hate to hear about the pending lay-off, move to texas we're gun friendly. if you can stand a severe culture shock move to oklahoma. that is a very gun friendly state. sometimes i wished i was back up there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have been shooting this load for years. 200 grain LSWC, 4.2 to 4.5 grs of Hodgdon's Clays. .470 crimp, oal. .250-.260. This load functions well in any gun that I have tried it in. The 4.2 grs. makes major with the new 165 pf in IPSC. I have used as high 4.7 to make 175pf with no signs of high pressure.

·
Registered
149 Posts
On 2001-10-07 02:16, mike357 wrote:
i use a 200gr swc bullet and 5.5grns of 231, it seems to be a DIRTY combination. 300 rounds and your ready for a bath, the barrel usually isnt that dirty but feed ramp and inside of gun is awfully sooty and black and grimy. but it shoots good.
Hi Mike, 5.5 of w231 is pretty healthy, I use about 5.1 to 5.3 of w231 for a 200gr swc and the guys I shoot with tell me to lighten up a little. Been thinking about going to 5.0 and you sure are right about the dirty black stuff! Do you shoot idpa with this load??

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have just loaded 500 of my 1000 LaserCast (Oregon Trail) 200 gr RNFP bullets as .45 ACP loads. Note that these, although designed for Cowboy shooting, are .452; NOT the .454 diameter.

I use 4.6 - 4.8 grains of Red Dot. This is an easy-shooting load, and much cleaner than Bullseye. When I consume the 2# I haven't even touched yet, I'll work up some loads using Accurate #2.

I have found NO leading with OT bullets in either my .40 or my .45.

·
Registered
54 Posts
.454" is fine in the .45 ACP. The chamber is loose enough to accept the slightly bulged loaded round. I shot a wlole bunch of .454" 250 grain bullets that I got for free from a friend. Just work-up a load carefully. VV N-310 @ around 3.5-4.0 grs is very clean, and extremely accurate.

·
Registered
19 Posts
if you had said "red dot" i could understand the powder being 'dirty' but in 130,000 rounds of various 45acp loads i have found bullseye to be quite acceptable and no more dirty than any other fast powder...
5.0 gr b;eye
200 gr hcswcl h&g #68 profile
win/rem brass
win lpp std use a crimp of .469"
carefully chamfer casemouth after sizing
if done right this load will group 1 1/2"-2.00" @25 yards (8rnds) in any decent quality pistol.
and even in some of the junk and near junk out there...
being careful and consistant makes an enormous differance in the final quality of your loads..dont rush anything,and don't try to do 300/500 rnds per hour...i still use a single stage press for my own loads,and i've tried most all the progressives out there...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.