Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boss was working on a customer's rifle, a 460 Weatherby, and when he test fired it it shot through a 28 inch diameter green wood tree trunk and then dug a large pit in the back drop, then verred off to the left and as my boss puts it "was last seen heading toward the next county over"

The ammo was very old stuff and when he ordered new ammo for the customer he said it costs 116.00 for a box of 20. That is some serious costs.

Just wanted to share this little tidbit of info with any who may be interested.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jrd1911 on 2001-09-11 23:44 ]</font>

·
Registered
562 Posts
Weatherby had a cataloge back in 1965 or 1966 if my memory is still working with a story about hunting Africa with the .460 Weatherby. A lady named Mige Dandridge (sp) who weighed in at 97 pounds used it to take a trophy elephant with one shot. :smile: Mike

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I am not impressed with recoil. Not a big fan of it either. Bu tany woman who can shoot a 460 is a manly woman!

A 500 grain bullet doing 2200 fps from a light rifle is enough for most grown men, a 500 gr bullet doing 2700fps is more than most men I know can handle let alone shoot...including me.

A 600 gr bullet doing 2250 fps, which is what my 505 does, is pleanty for me and much more "fun" than the Weatherby in comparable rifle weights.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I always liked Jim Carmichael's comment on shooting the then new H&H .700 double. When asked about the recoil of the monster he replied, "It drove me into the ground like a tent peg." :grin:

·
Registered
669 Posts
When asked about the recoil of the monster he replied, "It drove me into the ground like a tent peg."

LOL!! Now THAT is funny!!

My only experience with a .460 WM came at the age of 14. A crazy collegiate javelin thrower I once knew had a .460 Weatherby, when it was "the largest shoulder held rifle in the world." While I never had a chance to go on a real hunt using the Weatherby, I once bagged a jackrabbit with his rifle. :roll: That bunny literaly exploded -- not even a single rabbits foot to be had. Funny how four tons of energy will do things like that. Pretty much stuck to .22s for chasing down jackrabbits after that. Lots more useable meat... and MUCH easier on the shoulder!

If you want some good yuks watching idiots trying to tame the recoil of rifles they are not even remotely prepared for, take a look at the video page at Accurate Reloading. The guys taking their turn with the .577 T-Rex were especially funny (to me).

DD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Desert Dog on 2001-10-23 00:23 ]</font>

·
Registered
669 Posts
Sorry David, but I don't own a ten bore... However, I do have a sweet little 20mm *varmint rifle*. You should see what happens to the critters when 28,500 pounds of energy is dumped into them. We call it 'prairie dog fog'!! :lol:

More info on the above pictured rifle here.

DD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Desert Dog on 2001-10-23 11:00 ]</font>

·
Registered
23 Posts
A friend of mine has several big Weatherbys including the .378 and .460. We went and shot them one day, and just for grins, I took the muzzle brake off the rifle and fired away Of course, there was much coaxing on the part of my buddy.

The difference in recoil was substantial! Upon firing, the rifle slid in my hands and the bolt slammed into my thumb. I regained feeling in my thumb after about half an hour, and it took about that long for my friend to catch his breath after his uncontrollable laughing fit.

·
Registered
42 Posts
In the late seventies my older brother purchased and still owns a 460 (I think it cost about $600 then). I was just out of high school and working in a local fab. shop when during lunch time the deer rifle stories were coming on strong, and finally got around to the penetration of various rifle cartridges.
Long story made short, I mentioned the 460. And how we had shot at a target posted on an approx 30 in pecan tree and that the bullet went staight thru. I could see that there were many non believers, so I talked my brother into borrowing the 460 for the "test" and during our next night shift we aquired three nearly brand new railroad crossties and stacked them onto each other and placed them in a ditch.
Well, I won the bet, those three crossties (approx. 36 in)were no match for the 500 grain solids. I remember sticking a fairly long stick into the hole in the dirt and still not finding the bullet.
460's cost about $26 for a box of 20 back then.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.