Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently got a series 70 satin nickel finish 1911 that was stolen 20 years ago from me. the gun doesnt look like it was shot much. but it has a fair amount of holster wear. everything is original including mag. would it be good to get this refinished? how much would it be for an electroless nickel finish and who would u guys suggest? was this a good series 70 pistol?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Please tell us more about this story. Who took it? How did it happen? How did you get it back? Etc…

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
someone broke into my house and took the gun and some other "junk"..that was the only thing of value..the police called me at 10:00 in the evening about a month ago and said that the gun turned up underneath the bed of a dead guy,i didn't know him..they ran the number and it came back to me and they wanted to know how he ended up with it because it was not on there computer..so i told them what happened and to check the paper files...the chief was the one who took care of the case at the time and he remembered..i have not got it yet because he is questioning people and trying to see who robbed me...but i don't think the dead guy is going to talk...the colt was the first handgun that i bought,it is goverment model 45..electroless nickel finish,wraparound pachmyer grips with colt medalions..what would you guys do with the piece??restore to original or nothing??it wasn't shot much but has holster wear..crazy story huh???

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Clean it and use it as your good luck carry piece! Seriously, check it over good for damage and keep that. It has a history and they are scarce as hens' teeth anyway! I had a gun returned once and it was always the best I ever had...It knows the way home... :wink:

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
If you want to get it refinished, either contact Colt, or check the back pages of American Handgunner magazine. There are a couple of places that advertize there. The outfit in Florida has an excellent reputation, and does work for most of the top custom 'smiths. Colt should be very competative.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.