Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I purchesed a Remington 870 Police Magnum with a 20" barrel at a going out of business sale. I would like to have a little custom work done on it, like shorten the barrel to 18" (what does the law say about barrel length)? & re-install the bead sight, back bore and a trigger job. I want to keep the wood stock (looks like the ones I saw in Nam). Who does good work at at a fair price? I've looked into Wilson, Vang, and Robar. Who am I missing? Any smiths on this board do good shotgun work? Thanks, Sam

·
Registered
283 Posts
If you're wanting the best, you need look no further than the three you've listed and Gunsite's Gunsmithy. My Gunsite 870 is the shotgun I reach for when things go thump in the night. I prefer the silver-soldered front sight and protective ears of the MMC sights to the Wilson/ST glued on and unprotected rear sight. Hans Vang's/Gunsite barrel treatment is unsurpassed. My 870 shoots a load of #4s or OO centered into the A-zone of an IPSC at 30 paces; only one or two pellets of 00 or about 8 #4 stray into the C zone. This is, I am sure, an exceptional barrel, but it wouldn't keep a pattern inside a whole IPSC target at that distance before.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I saw that Kevin & Steve at MadDog were doing some pretty cool things with 870's, you might ask Steve about it also...

The newest thing I have seen in the 870 custom world is a Break Down that Kevin's perfected... I DEFINATELY want one... I think I might even like the Tiger Strips, just not in yellow :wink:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.