Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to load some 9mm for IDPA use. I think that I'm going to use 124gr RN FMJ with Hodgon Clay. I currently use this powder with my .38 special loads and would like to stick with one powder. How many grains should I start with to achieve approximately
1100fps? Thanks!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Use thier TiteGroup for my own IDPA loads & have no experience with Clays. Assume you are talking 9mm Luger? Their data on the web for a 125 gr. bullet is 3.7 gr. Clays {MAX LOAD} @ 1.090" OAL giving 1056 fps. IDPA only reqires a power factor of 125,000 for 9mm, FWIW.
See: http://www.hodgdon.com/data/pistol/index.htm

Their '01 "Basic" Reloaders manual if free for the asking and they are quick about sending same.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pistolero on 2001-07-11 01:02 ]</font>

·
Registered
89 Posts
Clays is a great clean burning powder, but it does spike pressure rather quickly, hence the problems with the ipsc guys and .40s.

I personally use Clays for most of my loads, 38spec, 45, and just worked up a plate load for my 9x23 open gun, 88gr jhp @1350, no recoil or movement! I would be leery of going too far over the max loads in the book with Clays. I am thinking of using clays with 147gr bullets in the 9mm, I think that would give you the best results, low recoil and making power factor, plus the 147s generally are more accurate. Good luck, DougC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.