Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How difficult would it be to convert a single-stack Para Ordnance 9mm pistol to .38 Super? I'm thinking magazines, chamber reaming and recoil spring, would it be that simple? Thanks for any thoughts.

·
Registered
964 Posts
The rim of the 38 Super is 0.010" larger than that of the 9mm, depending on the size of the breech face, this difference may or may not be a problem.

As for reaming the barrel, the 9mm actually has a larger diameter case head than the 38 Super, so reaming the chamber, depending upon how tight the 9mm chamber was cut, may result in a chamber that is almost 0.003" oversized. If the 9mm chamber is at minumum dimensions, then the case head area should be fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, I'll do some measuring as soon as I get the opportunity.

·
Registered
33 Posts
one easy thing to do would be to just buy
another barrel and then you will have the ability to
shoot both calibers at the change of a barrel..

as far as reaming of the barrel could be done
but would best to just try a new barrel.

hope this helps
SuperComp9 `;}~

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have a 9mm Colt that I can drop a Colt .38 Super barrel in with only a change in recoil spring and it works great.

I'm sure your Para would do the same.

Good luck-

Brent

·
Registered
571 Posts
9X23 or .38 TJ ?

Monkeyman, did you ever convert your 9 mm to a Super? If so did it work and what did you use for magazines?

My son and I are thinking about buying two P-18 9mm's and converting them to 9x23 or .38 TJ. We would keep the 9 mm bbl. and buy new match barrels and have them fitted to the pistols. We need to look at the issues we may run into with magazines. We think it would be fun guns. I already have a 9x23 and he has a .38 Super, but we like the idea of a high cap and a hot cartridge.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Buddy

·
Registered
329 Posts
Brent Chamber - the 38 super case rim would slide up the 9mm breech face dimensions with no problems? I was thinking a 9mm would give lillte if any problems on a 38 Super breech face but didn't know it would work the other way also...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Re: 9X23 or .38 TJ ?

buddy_fuentes said:
Monkeyman, did you ever convert your 9 mm to a Super? If so did it work and what did you use for magazines?

My son and I are thinking about buying two P-18 9mm's and converting them to 9x23 or .38 TJ. We would keep the 9 mm bbl. and buy new match barrels and have them fitted to the pistols. We need to look at the issues we may run into with magazines. We think it would be fun guns. I already have a 9x23 and he has a .38 Super, but we like the idea of a high cap and a hot cartridge.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Buddy
I am in the process of building an unlimited gun for IPSC competition. I am going with 9mm to take advantage of the cheap brass. The Super and its immitators can develop higher velocities at lower pressures than the 9, but do you really need it? It would be a lot cheaper to stay with the 9 if it could satisfy your needs.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Only problem with 9mm is that it is classed as a minor caliber in IPSC/USPSA, so hits outside of the A zone score one point less than the same hit with a major caliber. The trade off is speed. Most people can fire the 9mm faster than other calibers due to the 9mm's soft recoil impulse.

·
Registered
15 Posts
stansdds said:
Only problem with 9mm is that it is classed as a minor caliber in IPSC/USPSA, so hits outside of the A zone score one point less than the same hit with a major caliber. The trade off is speed. Most people can fire the 9mm faster than other calibers due to the 9mm's soft recoil impulse.
Looks like he said he's building an open class gun. 9mm is major in open as long as you make the power factor. .40 is the min bullet dia. for limited.

9 major works fine. More powders are coming out that will make major without pressure problems and many smiths are building excellent 9 major guns that runs flawlessly, Benny Hill, Dan Bedell, Dave Dawson, Brian Hawley, plus STI and SV both have open guns chambered and set up for 9 major.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts