Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that the 9x23 is the descendant of the 9mm Super Cooper, and that the Cooper was made from cut-down .223 cases. So now I’m curious. Can the 9x23mm, in its current SAMMI specs, be made from cut down .223 cases? Looking at the cartridge drawings, I see a .01 difference in the rim diameter between the two.

Somebody is bound to ask why I care about this, given the availability of factory brass. Well, I’m just curious about stuff like this.

·
Registered
225 Posts
On 2001-10-07 02:23, redleg99 wrote:
I read that the 9x23 is the descendant of the 9mm Super Cooper, and that the Cooper was made from cut-down .223 cases. So now I’m curious. Can the 9x23mm, in its current SAMMI specs, be made from cut down .223 cases? Looking at the cartridge drawings, I see a .01 difference in the rim diameter between the two.

Somebody is bound to ask why I care about this, given the availability of factory brass. Well, I’m just curious about stuff like this.
I've got a bunch of .223 brass I'm saving for just such a project. It can be done but I think you lose a tiny bit of powder capacity in the case and may run into some slight problems with extraction in some guns or something...but it'll be fun to play with. :grin: :grin:

Eugene

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Guys,
I was following your thread because it seemed like a great idea to be able to make your own 9x23 Winchester if the s&^T hit the fan. So I grabbed my micrometer and did some measuring...the back of the 9x23 Win was .389" and the back of my matchgrade Hornady 223 was .374. The neck of the 9x23 Win was .015" smaller as was the taper of the 223 at .900" up the 223 cartridge. It seems to me that that is a long way to go to be able to convert one to the other...So what am I missing here?
Respectfully yours -Barry

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have done it. The brass looked like coke bottles when I was done but they functioned well. In a pinch it can be done but why would you plus your limited to the weight of the bullet. Anything over 147 will bulge the case because of the internal taper.

·
Registered
80 Posts
All this talk of cutting down .223 cases reminds me of the time (circa 1983) I cut down .223 cases to make .380 cases.

Lots and lots of elbow grease and time to do this especially considering the fact that the cases had to be reamed in order for the 88 gr bullets to fit.

Still, my little experiment worked. I did not have a chronograph but recoil was BRISK indicating a somewhat higher than normal velocity.

The test bed for this experiment was an Iver Johnson Pony.

Sorry to be off topic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.