Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm just getting interest peaked on this cartridge. I understand that it's 357 mag performance, 11 round capacity -- 10 here in CA :sad: -- but how's the recoil compared to 45ACP (I'm sure it's more controllable than a 357 revolver)?

Almost all my 1911's are 45 and am wondering how going to a hot 9mm is better than a good 45 load, unless recoil is much more controllable? How is it out of a LW gun like Dane's SuperLW?

·
Registered
579 Posts
The actual feel to me is the recoil of a 9x23 in a g-29 is about the same as my stock 38 Super Commander with no beavertail. Slide velocity changes and you have a different sight recovery & feel. When the 10mm barrel is installed the "horse power" goes up and feel changes do to the different recoil pulse and the brass piles change too. Just jump into the 9x23 water, and I think you will find it warm or just right ....Mike

·
Registered
500 Posts
The recoil from a factory 9x23 is about equal to a target load 45. The beauty of the cartridge is its ability to be loaded at different levels to supply whatever your fancy is.Loaded down its about the same as a 9mm. Load it up and it out performs the 357 mag and is more controlable to shoot. I find the round works well in the smaller 1911s. I think the 9x23 is easier to shoot in a smaller 1911 like a commander or an officer model than the .45 is.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems like the 9x23 is a great defense round and is flat shooting. Probably good for competition and plinking but probably not for any hunting.

How does it compare to the 10mm, which is making a mini comeback in the hunting arena?

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
9x23? 357 mag with 125 gr. bullets.
10mm? 41 mag with 200gr and lighter.

Neither is much for hunting unless you hunt minature animals, say anything under 180# gross. :grin:

·
Registered
988 Posts
Depends what you plan to hunt. I have taken pigs with a 10mm, but prefer more. I have taken deer with about everything, including .357, .41, .44 and .45, but really, unless you are hunting those smallish ones from certain areas of the US, a rifle caliber is better.

Both the 9x23 and 10mm are awesome on varmints, both have killed many skunks, raccoons, feral dogs, feral cats, and coyotes on my farm, with some shots coming at good distances [for my handgunning skills]. The 9x23 is great...and will be even better when Dane gets that heavy bullet load to market :smile:

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Depends what you plan to hunt......
Both the 9x23 and 10mm are awesome on varmints
See we do agree :grin: I thought the 180# weight limit (which in a crunch could go to 300#) would be a good reference, even for a svelte barrister :roll:

·
Registered
988 Posts
Svelte? :lol: About 230 last time I checked Dane, but hey, I put that weight on for a movie I was in...you know, like De Niro in Raging Bull?

Maybe you heard about the movie? "The Fat Mean Spirited Balding Lawyer That Ate New York"?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.