Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A man who reloads was telling me that the 10mm burns the 9X23 on every platform. Is this true.

He contends this is true of the full production 10mm rounds and of course, handloads.

Is this the truth?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well, having both. . . I'd say that for ammo availability/selection you would be HARD PRESSED to put the 9x23 against the 10mm in factory loadings.

Figure 180gr hunting loads at 1300fps from a 5" barrel for the 10mm (as claimed by CorBon) to lightweight 135gr jhps moving at 1450fps.

Unfortunately we only have Winchester for "factory" stuff.

As for ease of shooting, I have never been bothered by handgun recoil (we ain't touching off 460 Wby in an 8" Contender, but that' be fun, once;)), so the modest recoil of any 10mm load didn't bother me.

I will say that the 9x23 is a lighter recoiling round and that has its merits to some.

Having not loaded for the 9x23, I can't say for that caliber--yet. But with some proper home cookin' figure the 10mm to be able to hit 1400fps with 155gr and 1500fps with 135gr.

Between the two which would I rather have hanging on my belt? Well my 9x23 has 18+1 capacity and so does my P16.10. Can't I have one on each hip? :grin:

Either round will give you all you could want!

Derek

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: viesczy on 2001-09-07 10:22 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
The main lure of 9x23 -- and this isn't a small one -- is that it gives you no-kidding .357 Magnum equivalent ballistics in a 10+1 single-stack gun with fairly light recoil.

Personally, I think it's a really cool idea that hasn't taken off as much as it should. 10mm isn't quite "mainstream" but it is alot more available than 9x23 and actually a pretty good seller for ammo companies.

The downsides to 9x23 are mainly ammo availability, handgun availability, and lack of variety in bullet weights. You can get any factory ammo you want as long as its 124gr Silvertip or JSP, and I'm not even sure there is published load data for heavier bullets (147gr+).

Of course, this kind of puts it in a vicious cycle: lack of availability = less people buy it = lack of availability...

·
Registered
988 Posts
I own both, have shot a good deal of both. In fact, shot a good deal of living stuff with both. Like both rounds. If I had to pick 1, and that be my only handgun round? 9x23.

Neither round has any recoil to worry about, both are accurate at reasonable distances. Probably why I will keep both.

G

·
FWIW, I would pick a 10mm over a .45acp and I would pick a 9x23 over everything else.

A properly setup 1911 in 9x23 is a nearly perfect balance of power, handling, and
capability.

That said the 10mm can do everything that the 9x23 can do, but the 9x23 falls short of the 10mm in the upper end of the power scale.
So given only one, my choice would be a 10mm but given two guns, choice number two would be without a doubt a 9x23.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.