Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
Been around the tactical end of pistols for a while, but have a question for you race-gun types.
What are the general differeces between 9x23 and 38 Super? Are there differences in accuracy, recoil, gun component requirements?
Which would you chose for CCW?

Gonzo

G

·
Gonzo,
John Ricco setout to design the 9x23 to overcome the shortcomings of the .38Super.
EG: Case failures caused by excessive (heavy)loadings to make major and the desire to use heavy bullets. It is also worth noting that the rim has been re-designed for the modern 1911 autopistol extractor with the correct angle.
George Smith @ EGW is also listed on the patent for the redesign work.
The 9x23 is the next generation of the .38Super with all of the advantages and none of the disadvantages.
Recoil is always subjective but, even beginning shooters can handle the 9x23 in a 5" pistol and noise/muzzleblast is probably the largest deterrent to the 9x23.
It is a very flat shooting/accurate/reliable cartridge that is very much at home in a defensive class pistol.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greetings,
Thank you Mr. DiFabio for your response. As always, your contributions to this forum are greatly appreciated, as well as the main reason I return on a regular basis.
Gonzo

G

·
Gonzo,
Thank you for the kind words, now if only I could convince my wife that all of my "hobby" is really worthwhile and I am in fact a "genius"...

Ok,
So that's pushing it, I'm still waiting for her to discover that I used yet another series of Pans/molds for my gelatin testing sessions.
I almost had her convinced that I was in fact planning to resale all of the 40-50 numerous holsters in my junk box on Ebay as I was "hanging up the gunbelt".

It's all Lou Alessi and Terry Peter's fault as "new" hoslters came with the man in brown....kidding-LOL guys...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.