Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much soul searching, I've come up with my idea (at least for today) of the "ultimate" carry gun. It would be a:

9x23mm
Jericho or Caspian frame/slide
5" match grade barrel, hand fit
good quality "small parts"
high ride beavertail safety
Heinie Straight 8 sights and scallops (sounds like a menu item)
satin hardchrome
absolutely reliable

Okay folks, what am I missing? And, any idea from you great artisans who shape metal into beauty (blatant suck up there) what something like this would cost in terms of time (from agreement to delivery) and money? And no, I wouldn't do it myself. My talents lie in other areas. What those may be, I haven't discovered yet.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The hammer and trigger are lumped under the small parts category. I guess I don't know enough about them to really care, beyond wanting non-MIM parts and a Commander style.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A follow up question: am I better off going this route (having a 9x23 built to my specs) or getting a .38 Super or 9mm and having it converted over?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Depends what you are after....you could build a nice gun converting a 9mm or 38 super. Change out the barrel, a few other tweaks that are 9x23 specific (I know it isn't that easy, but I thought I'd simpify). Or going fromt he ground up allows you to use oversize parts and use premium from the begining.

My idea would be.

Caspian frame and slide set (barstock)
match grade barrel and bushing
Heinie slant pro rear, dovetail front with tritium insert, flat top and serrate top of slide, serrate rear of slide.
EGW oversize slidestop, Oversize FP stop, hard sear, fitted firing pin, CMC carbon fiber trigger, Ed Brown tactical ext. mag release, CMC tool steel hammer, oversize pin set, Ed Brown memory groove grip safety, Ed Brown ambi-thumb safety blended and thinned, EGW magwell blended and opened up. Presentation grips, matte rounds and polished flats, blued. That is my idea of 9x23 carry gun. Good luck to you and yours.

·
Registered
628 Posts
DD, what's the advantage of the AFTEC if I might ask? Thanks :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JLM on 2001-05-21 01:58 ]</font>

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
And, any idea what something like this would cost in terms of time (from agreement to delivery) and money?
Done right the parts alone are around $1700 / $1800. Add labor costs of $500 to $2000 depending on who does the work and how much they actually do. Time wise there are smiths here on the list who can do this project currently in weeks and others who will take years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts