Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe the full name is August Behlert..any information or History about him and /or his dates of operation ?

I have seen two Colt 1911`s recently that had his sights on them, and one had a very nice trigger job as well.

Did he also do full house guns ?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blackjack on 2001-06-13 17:13 ]</font>

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yep, his name was Austin Behlert. I don't think he is still operating, but he was the head of Behlert Precision.
There are several of his protoges working today. Art Leckie of Leckie Gunsmithing was from Behlert. Pete Carber of Custom Arms was too. Not positive, but I think George Smith of EGW may have been as well. Best to ask George of this (I do recall him mentioning that he used to work with Pete).
All 3 of the above have excellent reputations.
If you want more info about the Behlert, you can ask any of those guys about him. I don't know if Leckie has a website, but you can get contact info from the others on their sites. Pete's site is http://www.customarms.com and George's site is http://www.egw-guns.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ken Sham on 2001-06-13 17:01 ]</font>

·
Registered
580 Posts
Art assumed ownership of what was formerly "Behlert Precision" where he was employed for 18 years. http://www.leckiecustomguns.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pistolero on 2001-06-13 17:48 ]</font>

·
Registered
720 Posts
Austin Behlert did a compound trigger for me once on a 1911. The primary sear engagement was a solid 5 lb. break, but with the leverage of the compound trigger (hinged at the frame at the top/middle of the trigger guard) the actual break was about two lbs or less. The idea was to have an extremely safe, yet light trigger.

I remember he had a son named Frank Behlert.

G

·
Austin,
Was a very good smith, he did several pistols for me including a cut down .45 Winchester Magnum that was reduced to 5" w/comp. (Note, this was not my idea, I saw it in a Harris magazine first). His work was very good and he also did a cut down Browning high power for me in the late 80's. It was very similar to the new gun that C&S is now selling.

·
Registered
418 Posts
David, did you get the idea from the Grizzly that graced the cover of the premier issue of Custom Combat Handguns in late November-December 1993?

Why do I remember the date so well? I went to the bookstore shortly before I needed to study for my contract law final. Saw the magazine and, well, studying went out the window.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I met Austin Behlert at Second Chance, 1979 or 80. Had him throat a 1911 for me and was pretty thrilled to meet him and have him do a little work for me. He was a very kindly gent.... since I was in the platic moldmaking biz we talked a bit about an idea of his for a 1-piece mnspg. hsg./ grip safety. I was so pleased to meet him, I wanted his autograph! All I had was a box-end from a box of .45 ACP Super Vels. Jeez, I must sound really old here! Frank was his son and competed at the match several years. Yep, Art married Cathy Behlert. I got to know them just a little and Art's a real straight shooter. Cathy-- well, she's a doll. I envied him so much working in a shop like Behlert's!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Guys, I highly recommend Pete Carber of
Custom Arms Co. He has been doing carry-
comps since leaving Behlert, and continually
improving upon them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.