Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend recently got a couple of Taurus Ultra-Lite's in, 45LC. 2.5" w/ 6 ports, 5 shot.

Last night I took mine out and put some rounds through it, a very nice low cost pistol. I paid $269. While the trigger could be smoother, and some overall fine points touched up, the pistol handled 250 grain XTP's in a +P load real nicely. The recoil seems to be equal to most of my other pistols, really, that is, you don't notice it with one hand shooting...unless you are really sensitive.

This is about the size of a Model 66, with a cushioned grip that would be a little hard to hide, but for a backpacking / glove box pistol, it seems well worth the price.

Accuracy? Mine seems to shoot about 2-3 inches above poa at around 10 yards.

·
Registered
120 Posts
There's one thing about Taurus revolvers...people either love 'em or hate 'em. There's one fellow over at Free Republic that brags about his little titanium .357 snubbie on every gun-related thread he comes across. Says he'd been carrying 1911s until he came across the little Taurus... Yeah, whatever. :lol:

Anyhoo, I don't like porting on any handgun...especially a defensive one. I also don't like the grips, as you mentioned they look hard to conceal and might 'grab' clothing like the soft Houges do. I've also NEVER handled a Taurus (revolver or auto) that had a trigger that was worth a damn.

All in all, Taurus has a place in the American firearms scene and they supply some of the most cost-friendly guns around. They have an excellent warranty, use good metals, and support Second Amendment rights quite fiercely. They even offered Smith and Wesson the rights to use the 'interlock' system at no charge, no royalties. S&W decided to cave to Clinton and Cuomo instead. :mad:

I personally don't care for Taurus firearms and don't presently own any, but I would encourage people to buy them without hesitation. I would simply tell 'em the truth as I've stated it here in this long-winded post.

Enjoy your new piece. Don't just throw it in your tackle box and forget about it. Train with it. Practice! Most handgunners are shamefully unskilled with snubbies because they don't train with 'em. Pump some serious lead downrange and let us know how it holds up.

Regards,
Callahan

G

·
A few weeks back I picked up a 4" Titanium .41 Magnum and I would have to concur with your posts so far.

It was well priced and presents a certain value for the money, it reminds me of the "almost but not quite" saying in that it could have been a very good gun but they missed just a few details that would have made it nearly perfect (for me at least).

First:
The trigger is markedly poor with lots of creep and "grind".

I had to crank in the rear sight and file the front sight as it did not shoot to point of aim with 170 and 210gr loadings.

Druthers:
I really wish this revolver was not ported as the porting is of poor quality/undesired if you are unfamiliar with the guns they use a system of holes that appear to be drilled into the barrel right next to the front sight of all places and quite honestly this porting is pretty much all but useless on this gun IMO.

The edges are sharp all of the corners appear to be straight out of a CNC mill with no attempt to bevel them.

The grips are very good at dampening the felt recoil of the .41 but they are a very poor choice for concealment.

I assume you can argue that most people will not use a 4" revolver for CCW but a nice set of Spegel boot grips or Anrends Cocobolo grips would provide a solid grip with a smooth draw from concealment.

Tritium sights should be available as an option on this gun, at 25oz it is perfectly sized for CCW and armed with the exceptional .41 Magnum it would make a very good night time companion IMO and would provide a step up from the .45acp in my 625 house gun.

Well, to put it in a nutshell with a smooth clean and crisp trigger, beveled edges, spegel grips, no porting and tritium adjustable sights this Taurus would make an exceptional revolver and the costs should not be much higher this would make the Taurus a standout and I would also purchase one in .45Colt as well.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'll stick my .02 in. Have a 608 with 6 1/2" ported barrel, and it's a pleasure to shoot. Godd fit and finish, good accuracy, and a decent trigger in both DA/SA. All in all, a fun range gun. Since my wife won't shoot it, i picked up a Model 94 .22LR for her. Boy, what a mistake! Absolute worst trigger pull I've ever experienced. DA is impossible, SA is just OK. Hammer spur is too small and flat. That coupled with the notchy action causes my wife to hurt her thumb after only a few times of trying to cock it for SA use. Fit and finish of this one also leaves a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'll toss in my opinion, too, since they're like a certain body part.... Wife has a model 85 5rd SS 2" with a Hogue grip. Finish is very nice, trigger pull is good, but a little "grainy". Hammer spur is really sharp, but the rest of it is OK. The missus really enjoys shooting it, although we're getting ready to look for something a little more potent for her. I might just have to make it a glovebox gun if I can't get a decent trade-in on it. LIke the others have said, good for the price.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I also have a Taurus 425 in Titanium. I like it. The trigger was a little inconsistent out of the box but after 100 rounds is very nice. No creep, crisp letoff in single action and smooth in double action. I did not have any problems sighting it in. I do notice that the cylinder is a little stiff to open completely. I even took it to a IHMSA match and shot it in a field match off hand. 20 out of 40 which I consider very good for a 4 in 25 oz revolver and the the fact that I had not shot any matches for more than 5 years.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree with Taurus guns being "fully functional" but not "fully finished" sidearms. And that is what they are intended to be. Their machining and fabrication processes are not as extensive as other manufacturers, so they can conserve costs and offer the public a good performing gun.

I would say that any individual with a taurus bought it because it offers all the value you want but once you shoot it, you wished you would have spent just a little more for refinement. Not to say that my M85 stainless has ever been a bad gun. It is a 2in 38 Spl, and it is darn accurate enough for me at 21 feet (2-3in clusters). SA is pretty good and crisp. The DA is gritty and heavy. The wooden grips are actually rather nice and ergonomic. It is not a S&W model 60. The PT99 I have had for 17 years is fully functional and reliable. It was $300 back then with 2 hi-cap mags. Not a single glitch in all these years with all kinds of surplus ammo. Accurate enough (2-4 in at 21 ft), but the gun is no slick Beretta.

Enjoy your Taurus. It is alright, and will save your hide against threats (human and animal).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.