Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A POLICE OFFICER SPEAKS

(The author of this article was Trooper Mitchell Brown of the Virginia State Police. More about him at the end of the article.)
Well, Mr. Citizen, it seems you've figured me out. I need to fit neatly into the category where you've placed me. I'm stereotyped, standardized, characterized, classified, grouped, and always typical. Unfortunately, the reverse is true. I can never figure you out. From birth you teach your children that I'm the bogeyman, then you're shocked when they identify with my traditional enemy...the criminal! You accuse me of coddling criminals...until I catch your kids doing wrong. You may take an hour for lunch and several coffee breaks each day, but point me out as a loafer for having one cup. You pride yourself on your manners, but think nothing of disrupting my meals with your troubles. You raise hell with the guy who cuts you off in traffic, but let me catch you doing the same thing and I'm picking on you. You know all the traffic laws...but you've never gotten a single ticket you deserve.

You shout "foul" if you observe me driving fast to a call, but raise the roof if I take more than ten seconds to respond to your complaint. You call it part of my job if someone strikes me, but call it Police brutality if I strike back. You wouldn't think of telling your dentist how to pull a tooth or your doctor how to take out an appendix, yet you are always willing to give me pointers on the law. You talk to me in a manner that would get you a bloody nose from anyone else, but expect me to take it without batting an eye. You yell something's got to be done to fight crime, but you can't be bothered to get involved. You have no use for me at all, but of course it's OK if I change a flat for your wife, deliver your child in the back of the Patrol car, or perhaps save your son's life with mouth to mouth breathing, or work many hours overtime looking for your lost Daughter.

So, Mr. Citizen, you can stand there on your soapbox and rant and rave about the way I do my work, calling me every name in the book, but never stop to think that your property, family, or maybe even your life depends on me or one of my buddies. Yes, Mr. Citizen, it's me...the cop!

The author of this article was Trooper Mitchell Brown of the Virginia State Police. He was killed in the line of duty two months after writing the article. As a salute to the millions of police officers who put their lives on the line for us everyday, please pass this on.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I've seen this one before. Unless I'm badly mistaken, it was debunked as a hoax (in that there was no such deceased Virginia trooper).

As for the content...well...let's just remember that no one was drafted into the job of peace officer. If you want to be loved, be a fireman.

Rosco

·
Registered
117 Posts
Rosco: Well put!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: topspin on 2001-07-13 23:24 ]</font>

·
Registered
223 Posts
Rosco, some might not see it that way.
Most of the real cops I know consider it a calling and an honor to stand behind that badge. They don't want love or praise, just a little respect. Are there bad and lazy cops hell yes, but most are decent hardworking guys trying to make a difference in at least a few peoples lives,before they either retire or lose there lives in the line of duty.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My son is a cop.
I tried to talk him out of it because I knew what he was letting himself in for. He was a Navy Corpman in Desert Storm and went through the berm into the desert with the grunts. He wanted to help people then too.
I have worked with police officer most of my life and around here, 90% of them are the "Finest Kind".
It isn't worth the pension, what you go through and have to put up with, but they do it. Most because they just want to make a difference.

G

·
I find this psot to be a disgusting discredit to the men and women who keep our country safe each and every day for very little compensation and limited benifits.

I don't like it one bit.

The men and women of the US Law Enforcement community are some of the most professional, polite, and resound persons in business you will find anywhere in the world.

I have met and worked with some good police men and women in other countries, but beyond a doubt the US men/Women in blue go the extra mile each and every time and really do make it possible to enjoy a tremendous amount of personal freedom and liberty that we forget each day.

Crime may at times be overwhelming for them, frustrating for sure, and at times we may not always like to be reminded of each and every traffic law, but I say Thank You to you.

The professional LEO, you are appreciated.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks David, as I sit here trying to type in the middle of my 17hour shift I appreciate your post, and know that you have "been there". My own fault, trying to make cash up so I can go to the Topton,PA pin/steel match in August(not asking for sympathy;)). David, if you are around during that time and would like to meet some good salt of the earth people that love fine firearms, let me know. I would love to shake your hand and thank you for the hard earned information you continually share with us. Be safe, DougC

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DougC on 2001-07-14 08:53 ]</font>

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hellooooooooooooooo,

Well, a hoax it is. Sorry, I was unaware of this when I posted this but I thought it a good bit of wisdom for those of us who complain about the cops and see them as enemies. Cops are the good guys and I respect them and everything they go through.

Now, if we could just get rid off all these laws and loopholes in the laws that benefit the criminals more than their victims and thus putting the criminal back on the street. They still need a fair trial but quit making THEM the victim. That would make the cops job alot easier I think.

·
Registered
515 Posts
On 2001-07-14 08:21, David DiFabio wrote:
I find this psot to be a disgusting discredit to the men and women who keep our country safe each and every day for very little compensation and limited benifits.
I don't like it one bit.
I respect individual men and women, not "professions". The vast majority of men and women who have chosen employment as peace officers are, I believe, good people. I count several among my close and trusted friends. I appreciate what they and their fellow peace officers do.

However, the "woe is me" tone of the originally posted text is tiresome. If one doesn't like the conditions of their employment, then they are free to seek other opportunities. If this ficticious trooper doesn't like the unpleasantries of his job, consider how those job conditions compare to those of a convenience store clerk in the inner city, a cab driver, or a pizza delivery driver. Would he like to swap positions with them? We all have our occupational crosses to bear.

Rosco

G

·
Roscoe,
I tend to agree with you, I was a LEO and Investigator, knew that I would not be able to meet my income and personal career goals and moved on.

A person in any career who does not like what he or she is doing need only look in the mirror for the responsible party.

The choices we make define who we are, who we are is not dependent on others.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.