Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Sprinfield Loaded in 9mm. The slide seems sorta sluggish with standard loads like Winchester white box and Federal American eagle. Both in 115gr. The gun runs fine with CCI gold dots at +P levels.

What can I do to get the gun to run with standard loads. A lighter recoil spring would allow slide to travel easier on the ejection but would slow it down on the return trip.

I was thinking about lightening the slide but don't really want to for resale purposes later. Is there anything else to do with it.

This is a gun for my wife. If it was mine it would have been a Kimber in 45.

Let me know,

Mike

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Myates on 2001-07-23 13:21 ]</font>

·
Registered
934 Posts
Sluggish is one thing. Not running at all is something else. If your gun still functions without problems, I'd be inclined not to change anything. Also, if you get a lighter recoil spring, it might not run too well with the +P loads.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I agree with Mute. If the slide locks back on the last round, you have the right spring for that load. Just make sure the rails and muzzle are well lubed, and I'd use a recoil buffer just in case that spring gets too light. A "shok buff" would do just fine.

·
Registered
269 Posts
On 2001-07-24 18:14, Bob Brown wrote:
I agree with Mute. If the slide locks back on the last round, you have the right spring for that load. Just make sure the rails and muzzle are well lubed, and I'd use a recoil buffer just in case that spring gets too light. A "shok buff" would do just fine.
I bought one for a 9x23 job but have yet to send it. The slide drags across the disconnector, you can feel it as the bottom of the slide makes it's way across it. even while your shooting you can feel "stages" of slide travel as the slide goes back and forth over it. It also jams about halfway through a mag almost everytime, which I think is related.
Also the full length guide rod was battering the bbl lugs and causing the bbl link to not have full travel so I filed a little off the back of the FLGR and that problem seems to have gone away.

hth,

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Try a vari recoil spring from Wolfe ( 9 to 13 # range) and a lighter mainspring in the 18 or 19# range.

Buy some different springs and set the gun up fo who ever is shooting it the mostand the ammo you wnat to use.

Lightening the slide would be the very last thing I would think about doing. I'd buy a Commander in 9 mm first.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-07-24 21:33 ]</font>

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have 4 customers that have the S/A 9mm
and they all have said the same thing.They come stock with a 9lb spring,what I did is
clean & polish the slide and frame,replaced the locking main spring housing with a S/A
unit & used a 17lb main spring.On mine I
lightened the slide also.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Tom is right on with replacing the mainspring housing. Thanks for pointing that one out. The spring and stroke in the housing is not GI spec. My suggestion is ditch it.

There are a lot of sharp guys on list, Tom is one of them. I appreciate the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.