Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentleman,
If I may offer some perspective, may I say we need to be watchful for the true "evil" that lurks within even the best of ideas?
This trouble is seemingly innocent enough but is most often found in the interpretation of the meaning of our writer, as can be said so often that “the devil is in the details”.

That said I feel a twinge of unconscious restraint paining me to remain silent but I feel we can undertake this endeavor without bringing forth the editorial cataclysm of internet behavior and editorial barbarism of sites that have attempted such an undertaking previously.
We have all witnessed the seeming resurgence in "rough" postings and perceived nature of ill fated comments of late here on pistolsmith.com.

What I mean is that this medium we rely upon for communicating our thoughts is in fact a relatively poor form of communication. The posting of electronic text on these boards is really little more than electronic mail and for a great majority of us the meaning of the writer is in fact lost in the translation and implied inflection that we all seem to find.
Good writing is in fact really good storytelling be it fiction or non-fiction, it is meant to be shared, to be pondered and once in a great while we have the opportunity to sit with the writer and learn the meaning through his/her tone and body language.
How is one to know if this latest post is in fact a preemptive strike by the forces of embarrassment to dethrone the kingdom of evil, when shall we rally the horses and go forth crushing our enemies with an endless barrage of facts, posthumous allegation, and an overwhelming force of punitive vowels and consonants streaming to life across the valley of cathode-Ray tubes glittering with generic fonts in a cool white ambience and Helvetica text.
How easy it is to read the attacking post and proudly state that we shall lay waste to those who would question our superiority, all from the comfort of our wave keyboards and ISP firewalls. Could the ancient warlords ask for a finer soldier, than I?

Granted this method is supreme and without equal for transferring and communicating a body of knowledge to a large audience with a modicum of speed and availability that is truly unrivaled.
We have the ability to entice and offend equally as well, this point must not be lost and we must all remember the responsibility that public discussion holds.

An undertaking such as this will require a great deal of both editorial and readership restraint and personal responsibility.
We need to avoid the vicious cycle of post/defend/offend/apologize/repost that has of late plagued us in our endeavor to build a community of equals.
A business driven potpourri of ideas streaming from equal ends of the consumer market. Meeting in the middle “we hope” with a coalition of skilled craftsmen, suppliers, instructors, and individuals with both professional ambition and personal integrity in equal amounts.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Geez David...I know what I think you said, but I'm not sure you said what I thought you said...Is that what you mean?

I do appreciate what you said...:wink:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gyp_c2,
I know that you know that I know that you know that I know that you know that I know that you understood me.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Well I want to thank you again for your writing. I don't think I've ever enjoyed as many pieces in a short time frame as I have your recent posts...

Thanks...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Every word i say, i mean. Every word i mean, i say. I have been mis understood in one thread, and for this i apologized for the offended party.

I think its this simple for me- Unless its about a pistol or tech. issue, im not posting.

So this is my last post that doesnt DIRECTLY relate to pistols/parts/work etc..

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
And I, on the other hand, have a habit of pissing people of without even trying to, or knowing I've done it. :razz:

OK, so I still don't believe that plunger tubes are flying off 1911's with alarming regularity (Larry :wink: ), I LIKE full length guide rods, I USE shok buffs, and I HAVE had ambi-safeties wipe off - but it's MY gun and MY life, and it's only MY opinion. Sheesh, I'm not even worth arguing with, let alone pissing someone off to the point where blood boils and they threaten never to post again, and my personal email implodes my home PC.

Jeez, you guys are my amigos (well, MOST of you :grin:

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
My 2 cents? There are too many fragile egos in this business :grin:

And some of them take this internet stuff too seriously.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-06-11 13:05 ]</font>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I LIKE full length guide rods, I USE shok buffs, and I HAVE had ambi-safeties wipe off - but it's MY gun and MY life, and it's only MY opinion.
Shane,
I will hence forth refer to you as Amigo and you the FLGR's, Shok buffs, and ambi safeties are welcome to my range anytime as they will match my carry and shooting guns, (as long as my wife says it's ok).

·
Registered
185 Posts
First. David. Thank you for starting this thread. We all need to be reminded on occasion of the limits of the internet.

The written word "stinks" as a form of communication and is misinterperted to the point of total miscommunication.

We are not professional writers and most of them have an agenda. We on this forum trust the poster to have integrity.

I have been told before if I thought there was some name calling and flaming I should go to the Glock forum. Well we are fans of the 1911. As steel gun for steel people not a plastic gun for plastic people. (Now the glockologists will have it in for me, so what)

Point is what is instructional for one is insulting to another. What is informational to one is an agenda for another. etc.

Best way to look at the internet is with both eyes open.

Posters do not want to sound stupid or dumb so is there embellishment and exaggeration. Yup. The anonymous nature of the beast (internet) will cause that to happen.

Great thread.

edited cuz I are a lousy typist and writer

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Terry Peters on 2001-06-11 12:15 ]</font>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After reviewing today's posts, I will ask that everyone read this posting again and think it over, this is a big market place and there is room for all of the egos, please stop with the incessant behavior.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok, I've just registered because I lurk around this site. I was afraid to register and start posting because I read what everyone writes and I have to say, there are alot of fragile egos and sensitive people who are here. If you don't agree with a poster's opinion or the moderator, you can be shamed for writing. I also see that there are alot of people who say that they have friends who have been banned from this site. That also amazes me. Aren't we entitled to our opinions? Is it that if you don't agree with Dane or the moderators, you get banned?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SunDance,
I sure hope that is not the impression we are giving.
My meaning to this post in a nutshell is the following:
The internet is in fact a very powerful business and communication tool.
These posts are viewed by several thousand people a week.
A fair number of really good, sometimes too honest professionals who make their living through the firearms industry donate their time to talk with and answer questions for the "customer/Enthusiast".
Although it may seem like fun or you may in fact have a "beef" with someone you can do them real harm by acting irresponsibly here (in public) when in fact you may really only need to "vent". If you have or perceive to have a personal issue it may in fact as has often happened be a mis-communication that should be taken off line either by telephone or in person.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Sundance,
First welcome to the forum.

Seems there are some misperceptions. Anyone is welcome to an opinion here. They can even write it down and post it here. We only ask that you be civil. I have a hard time with that myself at times so you are likely to get some slack on that topic line.

Dean Speir because he and I don't like each other, is locked off this forum. Although I will note that he was allowed to post his comment the other day through another member. Another couple, because one of them sent me off line email that I thought inappropriate have also been locked off.

In retrospect that sounds very petty. In some ways it is. But we are not the only forum online and all three have other places they would rather be I am sure than on a forum I control.

A good disagreement is healthy IMO. Outright antagonists like Spier and I is not good for the forum.

I look at this as a big party. You don't knowingly invite people that dislike each other a LOT to the same party. I don't go to their party and they aren't welcome at mine.

Realise this is in part my professional life. As it is others here posting. Insulting, personally, any of the professionals here is the fastest way to get you deleted from the list. I am the sole judge of who gets deleted and what level of insult will be tolerated.

I have several good examples on line now as a reference as to how much I am willing to allow.

I also answer professional and economically for those decisions. Buck stops with me.

We/I sure don't have it down to a perfect science. The intent of this forum is to offer advice, education, entertainment and fellowship to the gun community in addition to giving a place for all of us in the the gun world professionally to show our wares.

Nothing more and nothing less.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-06-12 21:43 ]</font>

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dane, I completely understand what you are saying. This is why I hesitated posting here because of the petty things that go on. I think that when people attack one another, it should be shut down immediately. Let me also say that I have read with interest some of posts here and they are educational. I have found several posts to be tacky and meanspirited and I think both offending parties should be asked to leave. Banning one and not the other shows favoritism on your part.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
So tell us how you *really* feel! :grin:

You know, people never cease to amaze me. I must be getting mellow in my old age (28, BTW :smile: ) but I can't see why people are getting so riled up in the first place. If an argument going the wrong way on this forum would get me sent to a third world hell hole again then MAYBE I could cough up enough bile, unfocused rage and general catty prima donna bitchiness to match some of the invective posted on this board. But I doubt it -- I'd probably just drink a beer and forget about it.

:grin:
:grin:

You just have to ignore the catfights and egotistical erruptions that seem to occur periodically around here and appreciate the forum for what it is: a tremendous source of knowledge. Happily, most of the people here are both very knowledgeable and the epitome of the term "Class Act." In fact, I'd say 90% of the people here will go out of their way to be helpful. Not perfect, but a better percentage the general population will give you any day.

For the rest of y'all, well, GET A GRIP!!! :mad:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
On 2001-06-12 22:07, CastleBravo wrote:
You just have to ignore the catfights and egotistical erruptions that seem to occur periodically around here and appreciate the forum for what it is: a tremendous source of knowledge. Happily, most of the people here are both very knowledgeable and the epitome of the term "Class Act." In fact, I'd say 90% of the people here will go out of their way to be helpful. Not perfect, but a better percentage the general population will give you any day.

For the rest of y'all, well, GET A GRIP!!! :mad:
Well said Castle - I couldn't agree more.

Sundance - welcome !!!

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Banning one and not the other shows favoritism on your part.
No question. I aint Solomon :grin:

I should ban me. But if that happens forum is deleted. So that is one side of the Spier decision. The couple on the other hand...off list nasty grams have only one side. So far I seem to be one sided...in three cases.

Stupid to pick personal fights with forum owners, basic internet lesson 101. For my part I am trying to be less PUBLICLY judgemental of folks :grin:

But we always encourage people to speak their minds. Feel free to make any other sweeping commenatry about numbers of list members banned or being bias on the decisions..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Shane,

You have a right to your wrong opinion about FLGR's, shok-buffs, and ambi's.....Now shut up!!..... :smile: ......

Note: The above was an attempt at humor toward you Shane. If you have a problem with it, just tell ME to shut up....Thank You, and have a nice day.....

Seriously, We should be able to agree to disagree without getting into slanderous and personal attacks. If you have that serious of a problem with someone you are better off handling it privately....I have E-mailed moderators on other forums in the past privately when I thought they were out of line or something they were saying was taken the wrong way and maybe they didn't realize it etc....In many cases that is the best way to do it, and you can rectify a problem or clear up something that you'll find out was never a problem in the first place....We need to, whenever possible, take a breath and think about what we post before we do, try not to read into a post from someone else what isn't there, and give people the benefit of the doubt. Thank You for your time, G. Kennedy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.