Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, I read on another post where a shooter went to a shoot and only shot 60 or so rounds at the match. Dale Taylor at Taylors Paradise in Alledonia Ohio puts on a really nice (non sanctioned) action match. Last week it had six stages and if you didn't miss you needed 128 rounds, needless to say we all needed more than that.. Lots of bang for your buck and you also get fed after the match.

No optics (yet but I'm trying) 8 rd limits in the mags. Paper and lots of steel including some really tough little metal turkeys that are good at ducking, dodging and jumping. Lots of fun, good times and a relaxing way to spend the day. If you live in the Ohio Valley area and are looking for a place to go and do a lot of shooting... this is it.

His e-mail is [email protected] if you want any more info or directions. He shoots on the 2nd. Sunday of the month and also the 5th Sunday if there happens to be one.

Topstrap

·
Registered
272 Posts
If you are in the Ohio area, Rayner's Range is having an USPSA classifer this Sunday (Memorial Day weekend). Matches are on the fourth Sunday. The range is near Zanesville.

Tom Rayner is the guy to call. 740-674-7019

[email protected]

Tom runs the match with a dedicated RO for each stage. No need to shoot in squads or show up at the crack of dawn. I usually get there in the afternoon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I have been out to Rayners once with Dale and Rich... really nice bunch of people out there. Being a newbie at this game (too many years of silhouette and slow squeezes) they helped me along and made it easy to compete. Might try to get out that way with Dale. I'll have to see if my gun is done yet. I gave it to Dennis at SSK and he was going to touch up the notch for the slide release... might see if I can get it and go shoot. I have another SA with a dot but I think that will either not be allowed or put me in with a group of shooters that I have no business being with. Kinda depends on what the family wants to do that day.

Topstrap

·
Registered
272 Posts
Topstrap,

Bring what ya got.

I'll be there. I think I might be running one of the stages. I am sure Dale and Rich will be there too.

If you have any questions or need directions then give Tom a call. 740-674-7019

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are usually pretty neat.... lots of bang for the buck... One might start out with 3 or 4 steel chickens... then some paper from both sides of a barracade... then maybe run over to a barrel and shoot some more steel and more paper... He has one stage with about 25 or so steel poppers, animals, circles, plates and whatever else he can find... some a bit further away than most are used to shooting at... He also has a small house setup with a couple of walls and windows. It always changes so it's hard to describe what he might have. Just bring lots of ammo and mags. He limits you to 8 rounds in the mag.. and usually sets them up so you will have to make mag changes at jut when you think you're got it made... fun but frustrating. And you'll usually get a meal that will more than take care of half of the entry fee. I hope I can make it to this months shoot, I'm going to have to miss the silhouette shoot in Weirton because of being out of town. Look forward to seeing you there... I'm still in the dark as to how to make that thing go bang really fast and still hit what I'm shooting at but it's a blast and totally different from the long range precision silhouette style of shooting... kinda refreshing to do something different...

Topstrap

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Kyle,

Did I see you win the shoot at Dales? Looks like you did something right. Butch said that Tusco is having a plate match this sunday... beats me what a plate match is but if I can get away from digging out his son-in-laws new foundation I might go up with him and see what it's about. I'll be pretty busy up until the end of July, after that I will probably have more time to get away and visit some of the other shoots.. also give me time to try and get this fast and furious shooting figured out a bit so I won't look so ridiculous in front of everyone. Will see what happens this weekend.. would love to get out and meet you and learn something... it all depends on the weather and how much he wants done on the new house..

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yeah...well...Dale actually won. He didn't score himself in the standings. I guess because he is the match director.

Dale really set the pace.

I just tried not to miss too much.

Had fun at Dale's. Good atmosphere. Same reason I like to shoot at Rayner's.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Kyle,

I guess you must have had fun your last time there. We need to get some of the others Ohio Valley shooters down to Taylors Paradise... it must be that he isn't sanctioned... but once they would go and see how much fun it is and how much bang for your buck along with the freebie meal it's a great day of fun. Might see ya, but between the wife wanting to go camping and getting ready for having Jamboree In The Hills campers in my yard and the backlog of work I doubt if I'll be able to get down and meet you. I DO expect to see your name at the top of the leader board when Dale sends it out.

Take care... shoot straight..

Topstrap

·
Registered
272 Posts
Topstrap,

I see trouble in my future. I am switching guns. I feel like I am changing horses in mid stream. Hell, I don't even have my load worked out. I might have to shoot some Blazer ammo.

Nah...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.