Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called today and verified that Dawson precision as well as Caspian have an adapter that can be added to 1911 frames for the Sure Fire weapon lights(I think the model #101).It is held on by screws. Both are aluminum.Both cost approx. $35.00 each. Caspian may possibly make it in carbon steel in the future. Has anyone tried one of these? It seems to me that the metal is fairly thin in the dust cover area that has to be drilled and tapped for the mounting screws. Could there possibly be a problem with cracking? If caspain made one in carbon steel, maybe this could be welded to a frame instead of screws?I would like to add this to an older first generation Caspian framed gun I have for occasional use. The gun would actually be shot very little with the light on. Just occasionally to practice night shooting. Any thoughts or experiences?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Went through the same dilemma as you, Robe. Sounds like Caspian has something coming out soon, possibly a full dustcover frame? or mount of some kind. Right now, you can go with the screw on mounts, but I dont know how they would hold up.

Other options, get a STI/SVI frame and have the full dustcover machined for the light mount, buy a Springfield operator(milspec or top o the line), or get a Surefire dedicated light mount tha affixes with the slide stop.

I am leaning towards the Milspec operator or the surefire mount/light. good luck on your search, DougC

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I asked Dawson specifically if my 1911 gun would still fit in my Hellwig holster(without the light attached) with the light rail attachment and they said ...yes. I was told that the rail attachment was thin enough to still allow most guns to still fit in the holster. I have an Infinity high cap 40 cal gun with the full dust cover and grooves for the M3 light. It is just so big and heavy. It is hard to find holsters for full dust cover guns...especially hard since I am left handed. I am going to try the Dawson mount and see if it will still go in my Hellwig holster after I attach the light rail. I guess the reason I am considering the add-on rail mount is to hopefully be able to use a stock design holster in the future when I am not using the gun with a light.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I can't say whether or not the pistol would still fit in a Hellweg holster. However, just the thicker dust cover of the current Springfield Armory pistols is enough to cause fit problems in some holsters that are made to fit a normally-dimensioned 1911.

Rosco

·
Registered
20 Posts
Caspian does produce a frame with an integral rail. The rail is as small as it can be, to accept popular flashlights while remaining as holster friendly as possible.
It is available in steel, and soon to be followed by our commercially pure titanium frame. We have our second generation bolt on unit in steel, stainless and aluminum available now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gary Smith on 2001-09-28 09:13 ]</font>

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for responding to this post. This new frame is the ultimate answer I was looking for. The titanium frame is definitely interesting to try and keep the frame weight down, but what slide material is best for the titanium frame? Will just a basic 4140 blue steel slide work with the titanium frame?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Robe,
It seems as though tool steel is a fine choice for titanium. We happen to use 4340 but I am sure the 4140 will work as well. We had anticipated galling problems with this frame but it turns out not to be as bad as we thought. Gunsite has had good success building titanium framed carry guns. A hard coat anodizing would probably be a good idea. Titanium falls right in between steel and aluminum as far as weight goes, but is much tougher than aluminum.
Gary

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gary Smith on 2001-10-01 09:45 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gary Smith on 2001-10-01 09:46 ]</font>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.