Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Per Dane's kind suggestion, some pics of a recent installation of a Wilson sight. Already have gotten some neg. feedback on the styling aspect, but it does make for a very knock-resistant rear sight.

On the next one, the surface with the arc serrations will be higher, possibly angled, to give more protection and snag resistance. Checkering on the back of the slide is this coarse only because I had to match what was there on the ejector-- this gun also has a compensated top end, circa '91. Normally these days I do the same thing only at 30, not 20, LPI, or texture it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ned Christiansen on 2001-08-09 09:12 ]</font>

·
Registered
693 Posts
I think the cut Wilson sight looks pretty cool. I never liked the bulky adjustables and this is much better!

How much does it cost to modify the Wilsons or a Bomar like that and install?

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Ned, you are driving me crazy!

This isn't fair! Now I will have to have a front and back strap cut and a set of Wilson's Bomar knock off!?? (which is better than a Bomar IMO)

I get the jitters just as bad as the rest when I see work like this :grin:

I bet with no series 80 stuff you can profile that sight perfectly with the back of the gun.

I was looking for a gun, this settles it....a Nowlin frame and a slide from Gary at Caspian is what you'll need. Can you do rear cocking serrations to match the grip textures you are doing? Let me know so I can order a slide.

Guess this is what I deserve!

Now, Ned, do you like nice watches :grin:

As I reread this post panic over took me! What ese are you doing Ned that we haven't seen that I will want on my gun? My feeling is you are holding out on us....come on don't be bashful. I prefer to do it "right" the first time. You have surprised me a couple of times now....what else is in your shop that we haven't see?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-08-09 14:07 ]</font>

·
Registered
209 Posts
On 2001-08-09 14:01, Dane Burns wrote:
Ned, you are driving me crazy!

This isn't fair! Now I will have to have a front and back strap cut and a set of Wilson's Bomar knock off!?? (which is better than a Bomar IMO)

I get the jitters just as bad as the rest when I see work like this :grin:

I bet with no series 80 stuff you can profile that sight perfectly with the back of the gun.
ROTFLMAO...:grin: Well, At least I know Dane appreciates what he put US through :grin:

You mentioned something about Series 80 lockwork. Ned, is that the reason this is moved forward? I wouldn't think the FP plunger would be in the way, but without seeing the depth of the cuts, and the placement in relation to the plunger, I suppose it would be a problem.

I'd imagine that the Kimber 2 FP safety might also cause a problem for this type of install, as the spring, and pin block drop in from the top of the slide as well...

Sad part is that I would REALLY like to do this on my Kimber Stainless Target. I like having the adjustables, just not Kimber's Adjustables. Is there any way that the original Kimber cut can be welded up, Maybe George can do something here, and the Ned mill out the slide, and install the sight.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
While Ned is actually working after I bent his ear for way too long I am thinking about my new BLASTER :grin:

Wait to you see the project we come up with together! Dane's getting a new gun :smile:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dane, I could tell you what else I'm doing here, but then you'd have to kill me. Hey wait a minute, that doesn't sound quite right.

I enjoyed our conversation very much and really like the idea of a collaboration!

The series '80 hole did not figure in to the placement of this sight. I basically stayed 1/16 in front of the FP stop. I don't see any good reason not to go further back, into the FP stop cut, and shorten the FP stop-- that way there could still be some slide metal behind the sight. In fact-- that's how I did the very first one with the Witchita. The FP stop is still full height, but the top front of it is angled just a tad to clear the sight blade, which protrudes into the FP stop's real estate.

And no reason it could not be put all the way back, but then you lose the protection.

Dane had a good idea, all the way to the back with a sight blade angled forward like a Slant Pro. Excellent. So it shall be written, so it shall be done (Ned bangs on the side of the Rear Sight Blade Replicator... damned thing's been acting up again).

Jaydee, yes, we could have George or my guy weld something in, but still I am reluctant to do that. Anyway, by the time I pocketed out for the patch, made it and got it welded in and trimmed back to square one, we'd surely be looking at the cost of a new slide. And after all that the chances of it coming out perfect are somewhat reduced.

Hoser, I do few of these because... it's $225 not including the cost of the sight. And if this was the only work I did day in and day out, I would not get rich... it's a lot of work. The sight body needs a little piece made and then lugged and brazed to the bottom, the cut in the slide has four corners that must be broached out square... two pins have to be made...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ned Christiansen on 2001-08-09 15:33 ]</font>

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ned:
It's great to see your posts "overhere" as well. I like your version of the buried adj rear sight--very original and somewhat retro (Swenson's and Hoag's S&W sight installation come to mind). I need to talk to you soon for the next project.

Thong

·
Registered
934 Posts
Looks good to me. If I were to get adjustable sights I'd probably want it installed like that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.